Fv 432 gear shift problem

robin craig

is it something stupid like extranius item stopping movement, i,d look down that avenue first as in past on jobs if i had looked there first ,saved a lot of time and swear words

I'd agree with that - make sure you aren't trying to saw through the rectifier cables, which could have spectacular results!

If it isn't that, undo the clevis pin securing the end of the gear selector rod to the gearbox to see where the problem lies. As the top of the gear selector gate is open, it's quite possible for things to drop inside and jam it. Mine was full of mud and pebbles.

Andy

Gents,

your replies confirm my suspicions. Sadly at the time we were moving the 436 between locations and had already lost half a day to other distractions so it was a question of move it as is and know that work has to be done to rectify problem.

likely something stupid and simple, just the time fairy sucking the life out of my schedule once again.

I am off out of province for the coming week so no chance this week. Another back burner issue

Will report findings when I get at it.

Thanks

R

linkage problem for sure as andy says.

Should be a 15 min fix remove piano covers , disonnect gear selector rod at g/box end. make sure you get all the gears by hand, adjust rod for reverse with engine off, check, re connect ,re panel off you go ..

some times you may have to remove selector rod completely and use a suitable fixed point to straighten bend etc i find a good unf KNEE works to avoid cables

Iain

what bemuses me is that the vehicle has sat in the shop doing nothing since last used. Hence my thought on corrosion.

I will take the piano cover off and investigate when I get back in a weeks time

Thanks

R

Try shining a torch down through the top of the gear gate first - it may just be that something has dropped inside and is jamming the lever.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Finally had time to look at this issue last night.

Piano boards off, linkage seized at the gearbox end. Took quite a bit of effort to get the pin out of the linkage, had to heat it and get onto the pin with locking pliers.

Once removed, some gentle file work and some scotch bright got it all cleaned up. Reinstalled with some oil, moves freely now.

Thanks

R

Andy,

Actually it is serious. There was a tussle at work about when this and the Stormer should come over from the UK. The pair ended up coming just over a year ago in the winter.

Here is the thread

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22024-Santa-delivered-early

As you can see there was snow on the ground, which, ergo, means there was salt on the roads, lots of it. Have you seen the distance from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Kingston, Ontario?

The company contracted for the haulage were supposed to have "sheeted" the loads extensively . . . . . but the 436 got naked part way into the journey and so the driver cut the flapping mess away and so it arrived as a frozen lump. There was an enormous bitch fight but any reductions in charges will never fully offset the cost of the damage

We have extensively washed and rinsed the beast but what has happened is all that nasty salt ladden road spray went into the engine bay once the covering was gone.

Needless to say we knew that gremlins were going to appear. This is just the first. I know the proper thing is to pull the pack, but the time bandit just doesn't allow it.

R

Richard,

honest mate, don't fool yourself on what I have learned living over here for over 25 years now.

We had a good shufti inside after I drove both of them off the ship and before we loaded them to road transport, they were both mint vehicles, which is why they were purchased.

The corrosion after being on the road for nearly 24 hours with the volume of salt on our roads being driven inside at 100 kmh is something to be witnessed, the pictures don't bear justice.

It is an experience to behold, we put many tons of road salt on our highways every year and the car makers love it!

Robin

Needless to say we knew that gremlins were going to appear. This is just the first. I know the proper thing is to pull the pack, but the time bandit just doesn't allow it.

R

I hear what you say! In that case, if you haven't done so already check the easy bits that you can do without a pack lift; the throttle linkage under the piano boards and probably most important - the emergency stop cable.

Andy