Retired Harriers going to the USA

Nick Johns

Don't get me started.

The Canadian Forces are retiring the Browning 9mm pistol, none will be sold, they will ALL be destroyed.

The Canadian Forces MLVW (licence built 2 1/2 ton trucks) are on the way out, some have been sold but the vast majority that have not been left in theatre are being cut up by the prisons, and to add insult to injury the prisoners get paid to do the work!

R

I was involved with supporting the Harriers for many years. I was totally gutted when it was announced they were to retire them early. Shows what a bad situation the country is in financially, although the savings they said they would make each year from the retirement (approx £500M a year) were in my opinion way over stated :shocked::banghead:

.don't get me started ......

... stupid stupid stupid.

There's no replecement yet 'on the line'......and .....the replacement may well be (apparantly) a lot better ...but we don't actually have it yet do we? ...and not by a long long way yet either.....and I'll bet...when it does come ..... it won't be anywhere near the originally agreed delivery contract price.....and I'll lay even money it won't be half as capable as they tell us it will be.......not without a shed load of alterations and redesigns.....and millions more £s ..

So........

no matter how good it is going to be........(if and when it is delivered) ...

until then....could we not keep the Harrier ....?...

..failing that... whatever money we are getting for the Harrier Fleet..

..could it at least.... please be spent on a couple of dozen helicopters ...maybe ???........

.....I doubt it.

Appalling descision. like I say...stupid stupid stupid.

.don't get me started ......

... stupid stupid stupid.

There's no replecement yet 'on the line'......and .....the replacement may well be (apparantly) a lot better ...but we don't actually have it yet do we? ...and not by a long long way yet either.....and I'll bet...when it does come ..... it won't be anywhere near the originally agreed delivery contract price.....and I'll lay even money it won't be half as capable as they tell us it will be.......not without a shed load of alterations and redesigns.....and millions more £s ..

So........

no matter how good it is going to be........(if and when it is delivered) ...

until then....could we not keep the Harrier ....?...

..failing that... whatever money we are getting for the Harrier Fleet..

..could it at least.... please be spent on a couple of dozen helicopters ...maybe ???........

.....I doubt it.

Appalling descision. like I say...stupid stupid stupid.

Now your getting me started on the JSF and how we have been so screwed by the US: :angry

a) not releasing the code so we can do our own mods, upgrades etc

b) cancelling the second engine (F136) which means were are now locked into use the F135 Pratt engine. Pratt are an awful awful company to deal with + the fact there is no competition means they can overcharge at will, and the UK loses manufacturing share as Rolls-Royce are cut out completely.

Don't get me wrong, generally I'm not a US basher like some, I have lots of US friends, and like the country a lot, but they have not played fair on this one and I'm ashamed the UK got sucked into this program :( and how the US has behaved.>:(

We've been shafted before by US defense manufacturers (Lockheed bribing countries to take the Starfighter rather than the Lightning), we'll get shafted again.

The trouble is, that defense is too important to be left to politicians and too riven with inter- & intra-service rivalry, to leave to the armed forces.