CCKW - Half Doors

Vulture

After talking with Ken Pugh and also seeing a few photos of Open Cab trucks with half hard doors, thought I'd try and make some myself.... (5mm Plywood).

Today was our first outing with them fitted.

-

2582971130099353463S500x500Q85.jpg

-

2976153060099353463S500x500Q85.jpg

-

As expected/hoped for, wind buffet in the cab was reduced hugely, but without compromising visibility :). Still need to organise some hinges, which I hope to do at the forthcoming Northern Military Expo this coming Sunday.

Kind regards to all

Ian

Half doors look excellent mate .......Glad to see the old woodwork lessons paid off ...Our teachers would be proud

Jenkinov

:laugh: My wordwork skills are rubbish, so I had the local hardware store cut them for me :D. They could perhaps do with a small amount of strengthening to make more rigid, but I'll only do that after fitting the hinges.

Vulture

I have been told that as few as 10 years ago open cab doors were still plentiful. But recently all you can find are rusted steel frames with rags covering them.

I have a set which I do plan to repro. But the biggest drawback is that covering them is so expensive. $350+USD per pair. Which means each set would be over $500.

I've looked at the doors and can't see $350 worth of materials.

As for your great effort, there are PLENTY of pics of just about everything used to seal up an open cab. Wood, steel, blankets. You may want to run some 1x1 stiffeners across the top and the sides.

I have been told that as few as 10 years ago open cab doors were still plentiful. But recently all you can find are rusted steel frames with rags covering them.I have a set which I do plan to repro. But the biggest drawback is that covering them is so expensive. $350+USD per pair. Which means each set would be over $500.I've looked at the doors and can't see $350 worth of materials.As for your great effort, there are PLENTY of pics of just about everything used to seal up an open cab. Wood, steel, blankets. You may want to run some 1x1 stiffeners across the top and the sides.

Deadline

Yes, 1" x 1" stiffeners would be a good idea.

Do you have any good photos you could share showing wood and steel solutions ? Must confess I've only seen a couple myself.

Kind regards

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
To improve the format

Its a good idea half doors on open cabs, I have had mine on our truck now for 2 or 3 years, keeps the wind and rain out a bit and you can still see well.

Do you have any photos you can share ?

Also, what did you make yours out of, and what did you use for hinges ?

Kind regards

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
To improve the format

I have been told that as few as 10 years ago open cab doors were still plentiful. But recently all you can find are rusted steel frames with rags covering them.

I have a set which I do plan to repro. But the biggest drawback is that covering them is so expensive. $350+USD per pair. Which means each set would be over $500.

I've looked at the doors and can't see $350 worth of materials.

As for your great effort, there are PLENTY of pics of just about everything used to seal up an open cab. Wood, steel, blankets. You may want to run some 1x1 stiffeners across the top and the sides.

Doors are available with early or late style windows in the UK for around £170.

If you would like contact information or photo's of the set i bought please ask.

David.

Do you have any photos you can share ?

Also, what did you make yours out of, and what did you use for hinges ?

Kind regards

Vulture

I used 5mm ply and made the hinges out of some off cuts of steel plate, bent and welded to hold a cut down nail which fits the holes in the hinges on the cab. Problem is the ply is flimsy and am having issues with the hinges snapping the ply so my MkII version will be ply and inside an ally sheet to add strength and weight.

This was from the trip to Normandy 2009 on the beach to Arromanche.

MVT Normandy tour 2009 316RR.jpg

I used 5mm ply and made the hinges out of some off cuts of steel plate, bent and welded to hold a cut down nail which fits the holes in the hinges on the cab. Problem is the ply is flimsy and am having issues with the hinges snapping the ply so my MkII version will be ply and inside an ally sheet to add strength and weight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52906[/ATTACH] This was from the trip to Normandy 2009 on the beach to Arromanche.

Love the look of the truck with the spare wheels bolted on ! Awesome ! :nut: Must try that myself ! Doors look great as well :-). I will look into strengthening mine as well perhaps. Depends what hinge arrangement I eventually end up with.

Some pictures of the CCKW open cab doors would be great. Anything to document the parts is always welcome.

As for wood doors, here is a quick scan from 'A Universal Truck'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52912[/ATTACH]

Wow ! :shocked: That door looks brilliant ! Love the curves on it !:cool: I shall have to think about having another go, and try and replicate that design... :-)

Thanks for posting

Kind regards

Vulture