Post-War British Combat Kit - Other Items

wdbikemad

Many of us are collectors and enthusiasts of post-war British combat smocks, trousers, parkas, etc.........but how many of us also have an interest in the associated items...? By this I mean combat pullovers, shirts, etc........

There is clearly a need to draw a line on a particular area of collecting, otherwise you run the risk of a never-ending search for anything and everything..............as for me, I've gone for combat outer-clothing, with a smattering of associated items.......

I realised not so long ago now that some other items of kit associated with combat dress are becoming ignored and consequently fast-disappearing from the market......this includes combat shirts......

The British Army have used at least half a dozen different patterns of khaki and green combat shirts since WW2, all of distinct patterns no different to the variety of combat smocks, etc, encountered........needless to say I've managed to acquire all of the variations.......but the stuff from the late-1940's up to the 1960's, made in khaki-drab flannel, is fast-disappearing.........and it was still easy to find only 2-3 years ago....not the case this year....:(

Thought I would start the thread with a shirt in my collection. Pity it has lost its labels but can see where they have been, two off. The pics. are not as clear as I like due to resizing. But think the cloth shows well enough. More of a coarse feel to it. Hoping of a age that is correct for the 60's.

Collection (10) - Copy.JPG

Collection (12) - Copy.jpg

Collection (11) - Copy.jpg

Edited by airportable

Shirt looks to be 1960s, possibly 1964 pattern....clue with 60s shirts are the lack of pleats on the pockets and reduced tails......the late-40s and 50s items usually have pleated pockets and voluminous tails, but not all have eppaulettes....

Late-WW2 is still pullover-style, with an attached collar, but no pockets or eppaulettes........

The 68 pattern KF combat shirt was originally made in khaki-brown until the colour changed to green around 1972, although older brown stocks continued to be used up and issued....a mate of mine was actually issued with several brown 1950's shirts in 1984 !!! Mind you, he was a rather lanky individual......

White plimsolls were issued in the RAF, worn with black socks......your first cross-country during recruit PT saw them turn a strange shade of brown within minutes......and then you had to wash and whiten 'em again ! Mine went straight into the bin on leaving Swinderby.....:D

Daft question .. Would each size of white Plimsoll (pair of) have a different NSN ?

I suppose a QM Storeman shelves & computerization would demand ?

Not such a daft question.......but no, one NSN per-pair as with most service footwear......detail info in the QM catalogues generally state "pair"......