Brake light switch

ArtistsRifles

managed to win a brake light switch off evilbay that was marked ad for an Alvis Stalwart.- came home from a week away to the package and on opening it the unit is about half the size of a Stolly unit.

The packaging carries the following marking - anyone know what on earth it is really is for??

6MT9

NSN: 5930998097409

SL4 STOPLIGHT SWITCH 274746

BENDIX LTD CSP2B9/51

Wouldn't have been a problem as the Stolly stop switch is in the air side too. However, as I say - it's a quarter of the size of a Stolly one and only has one air input as opposed to the three on a proper Stolly one so it's up for grabs!

Xmods price is £25, I paid £22.

Are you looking at the same item - only the only blurb on the one I won was as follows:

ALVIS STALWART BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

NEW OLD STOCK OPENED TO PHOTO

[TABLE=class: vi-ia-attrGroup, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Item specifics[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: vi-ia-attrColPadding]

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is a common switch used on the Militant and still widely available, most I have paid is £15.

I only went that high because I sped-read the ad and it looked at first glance like a Stolly one. That's the only reason I went as high as I did. Might suggest to the seller that next time he actually quotes the NSN in the ad so prospective buyers can determine what it actually fits.

I only went that high because I sped-read the ad and it looked at first glance like a Stolly one. That's the only reason I went as high as I did. Might suggest to the seller that next time he actually quotes the NSN in the ad so prospective buyers can determine what it actually fits.

I am sure most of us will do the same thing time and again to get those parts that crop up now and again. I have aquired some real gems by buying as soon as I have spotted them but it does not always work out.

Totaly agree about the part numbers, so often parts turn up that look similar to what I am after but could be slightly different, how do you know?

The stop light switch on my stolly was not working, so I pulled it a part.

It took a while to figure what the real problem was.

I found the contact points bar bends back slightly and the points do not make contact correctly.

That contact bar gets hot if the points are dirty and melts the plastic behind it and allows it to bend out of the way more and get hotter still, until it fails.

I think I filed and cleaned things up and placed a small piece of plastic behind the points bar.

Its been working well ever since.

The body of that switch looks the same to me as a Leyland Boxer truck item.

Ron