Leyland Hippo GS

raschippo

No not that easy, they have a constant mesh G/box rather than a crash box, so there's let scope for mistakes.

The steering is heavy as its COE. Brakes are terrible. they are hydraulic with an exauster, so rather like a series land rover braking system on a 10 tonne truck, ie u need to plan ahead!

Plus points is its easy to reverse as its square & makes a great camper. ( spent 12 days in Normandy in 2004 for the 60th, did not pay for camping once. 2 people in relative comfort.)

The pic is our view from our beds on the eveing on 7th June 2004 over looking where Mulberry B used to be..

[attachment deleted by admin]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
Great looking truck!

Are those easy to drive?

I drove them in Germany 1956 / 57, I have no recollections of them being difficult to drive, in fact I remember them being very nice to drive........ very slow gear change, but then thats how I like to drive, I never was a boy racer.

1957 when the hippo was still a relatively new truck, I am taking a load of materials for scrap in Germany, I remember that I had a blow-out on the front n/s wheel and had a struggle changing the wheel ( The spare was up a chute behind the cab,) O.K. getting the wheel down, a real struggle getting the punctured wheel back up on my own.............. but hey, I was as fit as a butchers dog and only 20 years old. The thing in the trailer is a tracked recovery ambulance. (REME)

Ray Germany 1958.jpg