Shuttleworth Collection Autumn Air Show - Oct 2nd, 2011

I arrived at Old Warden early, before the hangar doors were opened. There was still mist hanging over the airfield as the doors rolled back, but it was warm even then, and promised to be a great day. I hadn't been to OW and seen a show for a few years, as other visits have been blown out or were the modelling free flight events. It was very quiet, but activity soon began.

ow1.jpg

The Shuttleworth Pixies soon got to work, with the aircraft performing delicate dances around the small hangar door openings until they reached the open spaces outside.

ow4.jpg

ow6.jpg

lysander16.jpg

There's much hard work done in the early morning while the general public are still having breakfast! Several of the aircraft at the front of the hangars were U/S or weren't down to fly, so several aircraft were moved out and back in again in the big shuffle to get all the correct aircraft out. A display timetable listed all participating aircraft and was taped to the tractor that was used to tow the heavy aircraft across the grass.

This first picture shows the de havilland dH51 that features in the current British Airways advert.

dh51d.jpg

moth_dh60d.jpg

f2b14.jpg

The Hurricane had engine problems and wouldn't be flying.

hurricane36.jpg

My Nikor 70-300mm lens can't compete with those who have the Hubble Space Telescope fastened to the front of their camera. However, the excellent lighting conditions resulted in a much larger number of good photos compared to this lens in our more normal dull skies.

Spartan Executive

executive10.jpg

Bristol F2b

f2b19.jpg

Miles Gemini

gemini14.jpg

Hawker Hind

hind17.jpg

This is the final few. I took over 1000 photos, so it's taken some effort to thin out a few to post.

de Havilland dH88 Comet

comet5.jpg

North American P-51D Mustang

p51s2.jpg

At the end of the show, after most of the visiting aircraft had left, the wind had dropped enough for the Edwardian aircraft to fly. Both the Avro Triplane and Blackburn monoplane flew in the dusk light.

triplane_avro3.jpg

blackburn_d5.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

You got some good pics there. I do like Old Warden especially for photography.

Unlike so many places you are not shooting into the sun, in fact it tends to reflect of the aircraft when they are banked towards the crowd.

Not to forget that the display line is probably one of the closest. Mind you this is annoying when you want to get the whole of the Lanc or B17 in and the short end of your lens is to long.

Don't really count the Avro as Edwardian as it was built in the 60's (original design) and IIRC has a slightly more powerful motor. But they are good to see. Even more amazing when you get to see the Boxkite parked next to a Spitfire and think that there was only 30 years between them.

Mike

....Don't really count the Avro as Edwardian.........see the Boxkite.........Mike

The Boxkite is also another replica from the "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" film, and the Sopwith Triplane is also a replica, though because of its accurate reconstruction, was certified as a 'Late Production' example by Sir Tom Sopwith.