Unusual 1960 Pattern Smock

Eaglehurst

I have included a few photos of a 1960 pattern smock I have. This is a typical early type, with the square elbow reinforcements and pit vents. It is a size 8 in pretty nice condition apart from a couple of areas of wear around collar and hem. The colour is great - really strong and still has the nice 'shine' that NOS jackets have.

It is unusual in that I think it is a very early example. All non-NSN examples I have seen have a date on the label. This does not. It also has a 'Swift' brand zip which was common to the 1953 pattern 'Smock Sateen'. The material also apprears to be heavy duty sateen which may expalin why it has retained its colour so well. I have a theory that this may have been one of the first issue examples.

In any case see what you think....

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

The 60 pattern smock was a revision of the original 1952 pattern......primary modification was the reduction of the smock lining, the earlier model being fully lined similar to a 68 pattern.....the earliest dated 60 patterns encountered are usually dated 1962, possibly suggesting this as the date of introduction......

The early 60 pattern smocks with the 52 pattern sleeve arrangement with the square elbow reinforcement and underarm vents appears to have been manufactured between 1962 and 1965, when the sleeve arrangement was substantially altered in design to improve the fit.....I have examples of the 1st pattern dated up to 1965 and the 2nd modified pattern dating from 1964....so it would seem the changeover occurred 64-65.......so you can fairly accurately date a first pattern smock as manufactured between 1962 and 1965......

Other subtle changes involved a change in the lining material of both smock and trouser around 1964 from cotton-gaberdine to cotton-poplin......

The very first issues of the original 52 pattern smock, trouser, hood and parka made from 1951 to 1952 were produced in cotton gaberdine throughout.....then from late 1952 onwards in cotton sateen, except for the combat cap that remained in gaberdine for the entire production run.....

"Swift" brand zips, along with "DOT" and "Lightning", are common to many 1950s and 60s British clothing, including flying kit.....mid to late 60s combat clothing appears to have added "NZ" (Newey Zips) to the list.....and by the time 68 pattern kit was underway "Clix", etc, amongst others....

Edited by wdbikemad

I am sure I have a pair of 60 pattern trousers somewhere with a 1961 date but earliest smock is 1962 as you say.

I suspect production may indeed have commenced during 1961, but never seen anything dated from this year so far....hence my 1962 guestimate ! Generally, anything British with a "year" in the pattern was not usually in production and on issue until at least a year later at the earliest....

I suspect production may indeed have commenced during 1961, but never seen anything dated from this year so far....hence my 1962 guestimate ! Generally, anything British with a "year" in the pattern was not usually in production and on issue until at least a year later at the earliest....

Just noted an enormous pair of green 1960 pattern trousers on Ebay.....labelled and dated 1961...!!! These appear to be a size "Special" (eg - outside the standard size range) and the label bears the name and measurements of the individual for whom the garment was ordered in accordance with regulations........this confirms that the 1960 pattern clothing was under manufacture by '61.......:)