Dunchurch Show this Weekend.

Big ray

Our son Tony and myself will be attending the Dunchurch show this weekend, the show is a joint venture between The Alvis Fighting Vehicle Group and The Second City Malitia AKA The Birmingham and West Midlands Area of the MVT. Our son will be taking a Diorama depicting a shell damaged cottage in Normandy 1944. He will be accompanied by his wife and two children, whilst I will have my wife with me. I shall be transporting his Jeep and my motorcycle, come and talk with us if you are attending, it will be nice to chew the fat. This diorama will also be part of the MVT stand at the Classic Car Show at the NEC in November of this year, we can tell you a little more about that show.

Regards to all, and have a nice time where ever you are going this weekend.

What happened Big Ray. We marked out a spot for you with a back drop of trees but you didn't arrive. I will send a PM to you.

Once again the weather somewhat caused various things to get out of time slot and Kneed us in the groin (Cleaned that up!) but on the inside looking out most folks seemed to be having a great time. For those who came a big thank you. We are open to sensible suggestions on how to make it better. Please post it on the TANKS TRUCKS & FIREPOWER postings page. I won't be reading it for a few days because tomorrow (Wednesday) I am collecting the Hippo from Dunchurch and driving over to Souchez France for tyhe IMPS Pas de Calaise tour. I need the rest!!

Phil

What happened Big Ray. We marked out a spot for you with a back drop of trees but you didn't arrive. I will send a PM to you.

Once again the weather somewhat caused various things to get out of time slot and Kneed us in the groin (Cleaned that up!) but on the inside looking out most folks seemed to be having a great time. For those who came a big thank you. We are open to sensible suggestions on how to make it better. Please post it on the TANKS TRUCKS & FIREPOWER postings page. I won't be reading it for a few days because tomorrow (Wednesday) I am collecting the Hippo from Dunchurch and driving over to Souchez France for tyhe IMPS Pas de Calaise tour. I need the rest!!

I did arrive, unfortunately I suffered a back problem on the previous Monday that completely pole-axed me, I could not move without excruciating pain. I hoped that the problem (I have had it before, many times, but not in the last few years, thought that I was completely clear of it) would clear up. I waited untill the Friday with no improvement in my condition, told our son Tony that I would give it another 24 hours, still no improvement. However we were committed to attending the show and decided that if Tony could do all of the work, loading two trucks with the diorama and the other truck with vehicles, then I would drive down to Dunsford, even if I had to lay on my bed all weekend. We arrived at Dunchurch at approximately 18.15hrs on Saturday afternoon, we drove through the first field to the gate entrance to the site, only to find that the gateway was far too muddy for our vehicles to negotiate. I discovered at this point that the 90 mile drive had left me completely locked-up and even unable to get down from the cab. Tony went first to view the conditions (for me to negotiate) on the site. First he warned me that with the best will in the world, he did not think that I could cope, secondly day light time would run out before he had time to do ALL of the tasks neccessary, erecting tents etc. But his prime consideration was for my deteriorating physical condition. VERY, VERY reluctantly we had to make the decission to return home (After he tried without success to find you on the site) We travelled down to Dunchurch with 3 vehicles, some 180 miles round trip........... the decission was not taken lightly, and we do appologize profoundly for failing to fulfil our commitment on this occasion.

Diorama 003.jpg

I should add that at no point did my condition affect my ability to drive safely, if it had, then I would not have attempted the journey. The diorama was of course the important ingredient for the weekend, but if I had suffered something as simple as a puncture on my return, I would not have been able to deal with it, hence the need for Tony to accompany me on the return. At the time the pain was so intense that I was susceptable to any suggestion that would offer me some relief. The diorama will / should be at Cosby this weekend, I will arrange for Tony to take photographs along with a series of measurements, indicated on the photographs, and e-mail same. Alternatively I hope that he will manage it down to Cosford so that you can make your own measurements.

Sorry to hear about your condition Ray, hope you're feeling better soon. I took a few pictures of the event, I will load them up soon. We went on the Monday for a quick look about after many of the vehicles had left due to the pants weather conditions, still didn't seem to dampen the spirits of those that were left and it was a good day out!

Lewis

Sorry to hear about your condition Ray, hope you're feeling better soon. I took a few pictures of the event, I will load them up soon. We went on the Monday for a quick look about after many of the vehicles had left due to the pants weather conditions, still didn't seem to dampen the spirits of those that were left and it was a good day out!

Lewis

Thank you very much, I do take my committments very seriously, but on this occasion although the mind was very willing the old body is very weak, my wife keeps telling me that 74 is not very old............. I do wish that someone would tell that to my body!!!!!!!!

No point putting yourself out if your back was going to make a misery of things! My grandad has similar problems, he's worked as a farmer and then a quarry foreman for most of his life so as you can imagine he's a bit worn out at present, he wants to do all the things he's wanted to do in retirement but can't because of crippling arthritis and bad knees, as we speak he is having a knee replaced in hospital so fingers crossed all goes well. Pictures just loading now.