WW2 RAF Bomb Disposal Unit / Royal Engineers

thedawnpatrol

Question

Can any one fill in the details between the RAF Bomb disposal and the Royal Engineers Bomb disposal ?

did the RAF only work on bombs dropped on thier Airfields ?

Ideally I want to restore my 1942 Humber FWD as a Bomb Disposal vehicle, linked to RAF. any suggestions of markings, colours etc

Cheers

Jules

On 1/26/2022 at 6:13 AM, rog8811 said:

A fantastic set of photo's, thanks for posting them. Would I be right in thinking that all the small stuff in the foreground of this photo are butterfly bombs?

%20Royal%20Engineers%20-%20I%20may%20be%

Yes, big problem was that they could be fitted with various types of fuses, air burst, impact, time delay and anti handling.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, ChrisR said:

And in answer to Bryan’s question, (of 9 years ago!), mention is made of red wings on an RAF Bomb Disposal Humber car in May 1942 in the book ‘A Cold Blooded Business’ by S/Ldr Haarer, so they must have followed the army’s lead very quickly, as they did when the BD insignia was introduced for the army’s uniform.

I've flicked through the book, and I don't want to impune S/Ldr Haarer's memory, but it would be really great to see something concrete from the time for red wings on RAF BD vehicles.

The first Air Ministry Order to cover red wings on vehicles doesn't appear to have been until A32/54 of 18th February 1954. I'm certain there was something earlier, but I've yet to come across it. There is AMO A619/41 of 7th August 1941 titled "Marking of Bomb Disposal Squad Equipment" which states "2. All bomb disposal equipment is to be painted with two red bands, one inch in width. The bands are to be suitably spaced so that the number of the squad and the letters "B.D.S." may be painted between them...." But no mention in there of vehicles. Perhaps something exists in the N series of AMOs, but that requires the time to trawl through them.

For reference, the RAF bomb disposal badge was introduced via AMO A69/41 of 23rd January 1941. It was available to armourers who had passed the bomb disposal course (bomb disposal wasn't yet a substantive trade) and could be worn by airmen assigned to bomb disposal work but only whilst employed for that work.