RB44 Owners check you're for play in you're front wheel bearings

ferrettkitt

I was going to write a song and dance about how my RB44 failed its MOT on a front wheel bearing. But what it comes down to is that just because you have a low mile-aged example doesn't mean that the taper bearings on the hubs (brake drums) have been set up correctly. One side was bad (drivers side) the other wasn't far off being worse.

Check for play in the front wheels by jacking the vehicle up and see if it has excess play in the bearings when you move it up and down.

If you find play you will need to buy a 65 mm hub spanner or socket.

The passenger side hub inner nut that butts up between the shim and the bearing wasn't even tight it could be turned by hand by at least two and a half turns.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Andy, you were lucky there. It was a quick & easy fix! BUT if driven a long distance with the bearings having that much poor adjustment. It MAY well have resulted in a more costly repair! Not to mention a potential breakage! Welldone Buddy!

Have no fear it has proved costly when I remove the hub and I'll post up the pictures. It might have been the journey down to Beltring and back (unlikely) it was obviously something that hadn't been done correctly its one to chalk down experience.

I had wanted to put in for a full service but I was talked out of it.

Edited by ferrettkitt