Storing Parts

Scarab

Hi all,

Had this debate recently with some friends down the pub and no real conclusion was drawn.

What's the best way to store recovered parts?

Let's say I get a "parts" vehicle and strip it down putting the bits i need on vehicle number one. What is it best to do with the ones that aren't immediately needed?

Clean them up and put them neatly on the shelf?

Clean them up, pack it in grease and wrap it in brown paper and put it in an airtight box?

Leave it in the dirt it comes off in?

Thoughts appreciated.

Alex

Hmm, interesting one.

I would say it depends on the material.

Cast parts, happy to leave outside

Larger assemblies such as axles, springs, gearboxes I would steam clean/hot pressure wash, give them a spray of clean gear oil/chain oil and bung them in the corner of a dry ventilated shed or clean and spray with a 3:2 waxoyl:gearoil mix and keep them outside on gravel with a tarp over them (not tied tightly/sealed and bung vent holes/air intakes etc)

Tinwork, now, depends on its condition. If generally good I would clean and store in a dry shed. If grotty, I would clean off rust as far as possible, give it a soaking/spray with light machine oil and store inside.

If rare/valuable, get it cleaned, remove oxides, sandblast even, prime it (or lacquer it in the case of alloy castings) and topcoat it (dosen't matter if its not the right colour, at least it is protected) and squirrel it away in the rafters until the day you die :D

I try to clean, oil and store in a dry location wherever possible. Under a tarpaulin hoosie if not possible, although this risks condensation.

My tuppenceworth anyway.............:cool2:

Alec.

However you store the small parts remember to label them.

I'm not suggesting you need put VAOS or NSN identities but sufficient info to remind you in a few years time where all these small items go. It is very easy to forget what came from where. Particularly if you wrap them up in grease & paper, you don't want to clean that all off before you can try to identify them. I find old fashioned tie on labels are best.

I have a feeling I read somewhere that 80% of defence stores go missing not through theft or vandalism, but because the label has fallen off & nobody knows what it is for.:D