Matilda specifications

little ray

Now that is a very good question to ask as I was not thinking about models or marks. As I am now fishing into the unknown with what we may have found and up coming phone calls next week I would work on mark 111 or 1V and a ball park figure is all that is needed for now as one would not like to turn up with a 1/2 ton box trailer for a 1 ton turret even through I have moved that much at one go with the tires smoking as I went down the road... Little Ray

If its a Matilda II, and thats why you want to know then Mk probably won't make any difference so I wouldn't worry on that

I'm afraid I don't have the weights so I'll leave that so someone that knows. I know Rex Cadman has one though, you could drop him an email

If it is a MkI (matilda II MkI that is, not a Matilda (I)) I would be extremely interested to see it....

Hi Chris, here is a quote I made on buried tank thread and the reason I was asking those questions.

Quote:-

(I made three phone calls today and one was to the local fire control officer who I know and in the conversation we worked around to what they find on their inspections. I asked if he had ever seen any tank remains to which he replied that I was mad taking on some thing like that but yes he had and the description he gave is what I was told by a local shooter that went to the property that I had asked about.

There is the remains of two Matilda's spread through the scrub and at least one turret, now my next problem is how to get on to the place to get photos or see if I can get one of them.( the wife could kill me over this one) )

Now I am starting to get my details and ideas together so we can go and look at them if I can get onto the property. Ray

Now that is a very good question to ask as I was not thinking about models or marks. As I am now fishing into the unknown with what we may have found and up coming phone calls next week I would work on mark 111 or 1V and a ball park figure is all that is needed for now as one would not like to turn up with a 1/2 ton box trailer for a 1 ton turret even through I have moved that much at one go with the tires smoking as I went down the road... Little Ray

Hi Little Ray,

I would think that you may not be far away from Oberon. If so there is a guy there with a running Matilda which he takes out to the local show. No doubt he will show you whats what. There is another restored one , not too distant as well.

regards, Richard

A Matilda II weighs in at 25 tons (29.6 tonnes)

Length 15'11" (5.61m), width 8'6" (2.59m) Height 8'3" (2.52m)

The NSW Lancers' museum at Parramatta has one they're renovating, might be worth dropping them a line for specifics as to turret weight.

http://www.lancers.org.au/site/Matilda_Tank.asp

I'd guess that if the whole tank weighs in at 25tons, then the turret isn't going to be much under 3 tons!

This guy maybe worth contacting too.

http://www.livesteammodels.co.uk/dhmg/mahon1.html

10199.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, well we did the drive to check them out and once again the scrap metal buyers had beaten us to them, they sold for $250 a ton about two years ago but the turret was saved and sold to a collector so that has to be of some help.

I have now got to go back and start again so we will see what turns up... Little Ray