Sankey Comms (Fishfryer) Trailer

Hi

I am now a proud owner of a 3/4 ton comms trailer. So far I have only manage to find a few photos of them in service and the following manual "User handbook for Radio Repair Installation in trailer 1/2 ton (FV2308(U) Army code 13945." Has anyone got any in-service photos or manuals ?

I am also after the canvas penthouse and penthouse lights for it.

Thanks

Richard

The penthouse for one of these is very heavy. A thick canvas like material with a vinyl dark green coating.

Chances are that you will not find the frame and canvas unless it is already with a comms trailer. The penthouse for the Austin K9 is made from similar steel poles and the canvas is also the same material. The K9 penthouse canvas can occasionally be found at shows such as W&P.

Here are a couple of shots of a Fishfryer with the radio-relay system SR C50/R236 in use by 3 Div Signals in the airportable role. These pics (monochrome) were taken in Carter Barracks, Bulford in 1971. Two Fishfryers are in the R Signals museum in Blandford.

We rarely used the penthouse, it was basically a pain in the backside to assemble. We used the airborne shelter, which went from the back of the Landy, over the trailer, and gave us some sheltered housekeeping space behind the trailer.

The penthouse lighting kit came in a metal box, which is top left on the equipment rack (4th photo)

C50system1.jpg

C50system2.jpg

C50system3.jpg

C50system4.jpg

C50system5.jpg

Roger

Edited by schliesser92

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information.

With regard to the C41/R222, how was this mounted in the trailer (on some sort of brackey arrangement I presume), are there any drawing around ?. In any case I will have a close look at one when I amm next in Blanford (Signals Museum)

Thanks

Richard

I actually "owned" three of the C41/R222 trailers whilst in 8 Signal Regt as part of a wartime commitment, and came across them again when I was in the TA. Unfortunately I omitted to take pics. The one in Blandford is in good nick, and is worth a look. They also have a C50/R236 trailer, but this is a non-Bruin beastie, ie with the CST1+4 No3 fitted instead of the BID200/10. It also seems to be missing the RFA13 and associated PSU49 & 50.

We also had a radio-repair trailer in 3 Div Sigs, but this was modified into our RADCON (radio control) setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just started stripping paint off my comms trailer.

What is this logo that I found on the back (appx 6"x6") (2 of them, but under different layers of paint , the number in the white box is 12)

logo.jpg

also on one side found the logo SWD , what does this mean ?

On one of the door lockers "BOOKS ?????????" any idea what markings should be on the four lockers

Also found the following stenciled on the back

RDN 45462

it does have some words above it, but I cannot make them out, any ideas anyone ?

By the way, I now have a copy of "user handbook for signal centre/cipher office trailer mounted" , Army Code 60084 (supercedes Army code 13953). I can PDF it and send if anyone wants a copy

Thanks

Richard

12 Signal Group, the TA element that was designed to form a line of communication from the channel ports/airports into 1 (BR) Corps, terminating into 16 and 22 Signal Regt dets/commcens, back when we practicing the fallback to the Rhine!

Means that your beast, if used for radio-relay was fitted with SR C41/R222. With the "books" stencil, may have been used for repair or radcon.

12 Signal Group consisted of (back then), 32, 34 and 36 Signal Regt (V). I think that 40 (Ulster) and 38 (Scottish) Sig Regt (V) may have been tied in, but they had different roles.

The lockers weren't usually marked, this would have been a local thing. The other stencils are also non-standard, thus local/specific to the unit.

Edited by schliesser92

schliesser92 has made an excellent reply here, and is great interest to me as my Land Rover 2a 109 gs has the same badge on the front passenger side wing. It spent its entire service life with 36 Sig Regt (V). Your trailer is the only other vehicle I have seen it on.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Went down to the Signals Museum at Blanford last week, great place to visit if you are in Dorset. They have a set of 7 photos (accession number 422.52) that shows a fish fryer with two C41/R222 sets installed, photos also show how the aerials were stored in the lift up sides. I cannot post the photos on the site due to copyright restrictions.

Richard