Manufature date on a Browning 1919A4 30 cal

Toolman

Hello :)

I've managed to aquire (buy) a deact 30 cal for the ferret :-)

It appears to be manufactured by Saginaw and later converted to 7.62 (Israeli?) Deactivated by Ryton Arms in late 95 (spec A)

is it possible to find the manufacture date and any other details? Will it be a WW2 manufactured example?

Photo attached showing serial No.

Cheers

Matt

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

Have you looked at this site?http://browningmgs.com/index.html

Thanks for that, I will have a look, not field stripped it yet, looking forward to that.

I'm going to keep the purchase price to myself for now :-) Andy, you can tell I must have managed to get a few hours of work in now :-)

MT

Thanks for that, I will have a look, not field stripped it yet, looking forward to that.

I'm going to keep the purchase price to myself for now :-) Andy, you can tell I must have managed to get a few hours of work in now :-)

MT

I'm not sure if thats good or bad, more time in work means more money and an increased purchase price.

Hello :)

I've managed to aquire (buy) a deact 30 cal for the ferret :-)

It appears to be manufactured by Saginaw and later converted to 7.62 (Israeli?) Deactivated by Ryton Arms in late 95 (spec A)

is it possible to find the manufacture date and any other details? Will it be a WW2 manufactured example?

Photo attached showing serial No.

Cheers

Matt

Matt, This is a WWII Example. Later in life pressed into Israeli service & converted to 7.62mm. I have observed the Shinbec Arsenal mark on your gun. TWO Birmingham Deact Stamps! Indicating resubmited for ANOTHER Deact Cert. Possibly because the orig one was lost? The conversion was minor on these. A short round stop held in on the LHS to prevent feeding longer incorrect calibre ammo.New extractor arm assembly,Short sleeve insert in the chamber to shoulder shorter ammo. & chamber slightly relieved with a reamer as 7.62 is slightly fatter near the base of the cartridge. Extractor cam inside RHS or reciever replaced to act on shorter length ammo. Bolt stamped 7.62 But they are frequently an Original WWII bolt. Stamped so National Service Not really interested Squaddies, would not put the wrong calibre ammo in!

Other than the markings. & stamping some (YOURS) with another serial number on some componants Like the side of the top cover Etc. They are basically a WWII gun to look at from a short distance away. If you really want to be pedantic, I wouldnt change anything componat wise. Just polish out the Izzie markings, or obliterate them with an 'X' letter punch!

Thank Mike

Great Info :-) Is the Shinbec Arsenal stamp the inverted U?

I think someone has removed the guides because it came with a belt of 30-06 and it feeds these in ok (probably to make it more suitable to fit a wartime vehicle) The 30-06's on a metallic desintegrating link belt hang out nicely. Here are some more photos of the stamps. Looks like a full stripdown and clean is in order judging with the dirt on these photos on macro :D

DSC02456.jpg

DSC02459.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02461.jpg

DSC02463.jpg