Wireless or similar body, anyone recognise it?

No Signals

Earlier this year I detoured to get a pic of a vehicle body I had seen from a distance some time previous. My memory was of a quite smart, but old, gloss green painted item with a distinctive rounded wheel arch. When I got there this is what I found and it is not what I recalled at all! :) So either I had a box body from somewhere else in mind, or in the intervening period a switch has been done for a more suitable body to use as a shed. However do you reckon this has a military origin or is it more likely ex- British Rail etc? Over to the experts.

body1.JPG

body2.JPG

Trouble is, most of these bodies, and trailers, were put together from a set of basic parts. The vents and door handles and hinges were definitley used on military kit. The windows make me think it may be airfeild related, as does the yellow, Bodge probably rusting down at Beltring, he'd know. The 'Ministry of Supply' had vehicles with lab bodies on made to measure, could be one of them.

Edited by Tony B

I would think for sure it's off a Civil Defence wagon. More than likley a Fordson Thames 500E or ET6.

All my books, manuals went with the Fordson I sold, pity. (understand mine was broken up for chassis axles etc. :cry:, features in truck mag.this week)

Know of two types, rear door and side door, mine was side.

Of course I may be wrong!!!!! Oh, yellow paint, mine was yellow under the bronze green, possible a etch type primer as the body panels are ally.

Edited by airportable
Spelling

• 8 months later...

Hi chaps.

I'm a new member today and while searching for info on the vehicle I bought 2 days ago, came across this thread.

I am now the owner of a Fordson Thames ET6 Civil Defence Corps Operations vehicle and the body you have shown is definately from one.

P1090752.jpg

Mine is a rear door (thus Ops) vehicle and you can clearly see all the similarities.

Regards, Neil