Zenith Carb on M201

Nickmow

I didnt want to totally hijack Slick50's thread so started my own.

I appear to have a Zenith Carb on me jeep. That said looking at the piccies of Carter Carbs it looks exactly the same and is marked "Made in France Zenith Carburetor " Model w-O. There is also a triangular brass tag that I think reads z869s or s968z depending which way up you read it :nut:.

Seems that the engine has been running rich and post me having a shufty down the top, with the Air inlet pipe thing removed. Its seems to be swimming in petrol. When you activate the throttle lever a stream of juice runs out. What should I see ? I figured a sort of spray(Engine not running while looking) but theres more of a flow.

Any tips on carbs, what should I see etfc, is there any sort of eejits guide on the interweb that would take me through setting it up. Engine has been lumpy since I got her and now Im doing lots of work and learning more, Im wondering if this isnt the root of the problem i.e. too rich. All advice gratefully recieved (like I said I didnt want to take over slicks thread)

thanks as always guys

Nick

send it off to carb exchange, they will make it like brand new and all for about £80, bargain. or you can get rebuild kits for about £25 from most jeep suppliers as they are the same as oroginal carter.

Barry,

thanks for that, I had visions of getting out of my depth taking it apart and ending up with a few bits left over on the rebuild. Getting it done properly sounds like a damn good idea to me.

I did a quick search is carb exchange the one at Leighton Buzzard ? (mind you, you dont half get some odd websites when you put "carb exchange" as a search ;) )

thanks again

Nick

Belay that, just called them, they got a 4 week ! backlog, they so busy. Which is a bit of a bummer, having said that, good for them its nice to hear a firm is doing so well !

Edited by Nickmow

glad to hear, you wont be disapointed withtthe result. they have done some real oddball carbs for me in the past and its never been a problem for them, the results are great and the price always been very reasonable.

Cheers

For anybody thats interested, turns out the Zenith W-O is a licenced French copy of the Carter, so I have a

carb kit for it from Dallas and Im going to give it a go.....probably followed by a trip to Dallas to get them to fix the mess I make :D

Took the carb apart, found to my horror that somebody had been there before me and stripped out the screwdriver slots on 2 of the jets. Bits of Brass everywhere. Sooooo bit the bullet and called Jeep Parts about a replacement, quick as you like a Solex turns up, pops on in place and Hey Presto she runs like a dream...well a lumpey blue smokey dream but success never the less. All timing and tappet gaps set up too. Now I will probably get Carb ex to have a go at the Zenith at some point and keep it as a spare, like you do.

Next step is to get somebody with more hexpertise than me to look at the block and see if there is a way ahead with the state of the rest of the engine (Piston rings maybe ?) Meanwhile the lovely missus has, off her own back and inspired by her visit to Beltring, nocked out some Canvas excellent headlight covers...what a girl ! :-D