Smock Windproof Green Cadet Forces

Enfield1940

Incredible - and yes I think it is because of the size and condition - although £170 is still a hell of a lot of money for a cadet smock. Just goes to prove that something is as valuable as the market dictates....

Denison smock seems to be the hot item over the past year or two. They have been selling for silly money.

The most intriguing Ebay sale, in my view, was the chap who listed a WW1 machine gunners jacket (about a year ago now). He had found it in an allotment shed and it was in surprisingly good condition in spite of a few moth attacks.

Selling price: £2100!!:nut:

The most intriguing Ebay sale, in my view, was the chap who listed a WW1 machine gunners jacket (about a year ago now). He had found it in an allotment shed and it was in surprisingly good condition in spite of a few moth attacks.

Selling price: £2100!!:nut:

Incredibly, this item, looking like the top-half of a greatcoat with leather shoulder pads, was still listed in QM catalogues into the 1960's for issue to those troops still lugging the old heavy machine gun & tripod around prior to the introduction of the GPMG.......:D

Incredible - and yes I think it is because of the size and condition - although £170 is still a hell of a lot of money for a cadet smock. Just goes to prove that something is as valuable as the market dictates....

Denison smock seems to be the hot item over the past year or two. They have been selling for silly money.

Still listed in 1986 as available, but obsolete....saw two at Beltring today...one a very good size 5 for £20....maybe I should go back and buy it ??!!!:D

Best go visit your local Army cadet hut....they've probably got bales of the things sitting in the loft.....:)

Still listed in 1986 as available, but obsolete....saw two at Beltring today...one a very good size 5 for £20....maybe I should go back and buy it ??!!!:D

Best go visit your local Army cadet hut....they've probably got bales of the things sitting in the loft.....:)

Doubt it as most Buckshee kit is raided by the Qm staff when they do monthly visits etc

• 4 weeks later...

Bonkers. I paid £15 for a size 5 in May. It gets used fairly regularly - commodious and plentiful pockets make combat jackets great for commuting in.:D

I was excited to spot a pair of DPM P1960 combat trousers at my local car boot yesterday. Unfortunately some b*gg*r was already wearing them.:embarrassed:

Bonkers. I paid £15 for a size 5 in May. It gets used fairly regularly - commodious and plentiful pockets make combat jackets great for commuting in.:D

I was excited to spot a pair of DPM P1960 combat trousers at my local car boot yesterday. Unfortunately some b*gg*r was already wearing them.:embarrassed:

In the mid-1980's I actually went up to a bloke at a petrol garage wearing a late-pattern Denison in great condition.....I simply said to him "£20 for the jacket mate ?!!".....he bit my arm off...!!! Said it was his dad's and he'd been given it to wear on the building site...!!!

Mind you, you might get a smack nowadays asking a bloke to take off his strides......:D !!!!!

In the mid-1980's I actually went up to a bloke at a petrol garage wearing a late-pattern Denison in great condition.....I simply said to him "£20 for the jacket mate ?!!".....he bit my arm off...!!! Said it was his dad's and he'd been given it to wear on the building site...!!!

Mind you, you might get a smack nowadays asking a bloke to take off his strides......:D !!!!!

Denisons, especially wartime examples, are going for crazy money these days....there are a couple on Ebay currently iirc for c. £500 - £700. Even a reasonable 59 Pattern will fetch £100+. An they are not even that scarce...

Still on my list though are:

- 63 Pattern olive smock and trousers

- 63 pattern dpm trousers

- 60 Pattern DPm smock size 9

Beyond that it is more opportunist purchases...ie 68 Pattern gear from obscure makers:)

Denisons, especially wartime examples, are going for crazy money these days....there are a couple on Ebay currently iirc for c. £500 - £700. Even a reasonable 59 Pattern will fetch £100+. An they are not even that scarce...

Still on my list though are:

- 63 Pattern olive smock and trousers

- 63 pattern dpm trousers

- 60 Pattern DPm smock size 9

Beyond that it is more opportunist purchases...ie 68 Pattern gear from obscure makers:)

I am delighted to have two brand new last pattern Denisons that I've owned since 1983........both are size 2, almost identical but different makers (H E Textiles & good ol' James Smith).......they cost me only £20-odd back then....:-\

Rather strangely, I actually have the MoD manufacturing specifications for the late-pattern Denison......can't remember where I obtained them from now...?:(.........

Those last pattern Denisons were a pile of poo quality-wise weren't they ?!!! The quality went back up with the early DPM ones for sure.

Dave

I have to agree, Dave.........the cloth was rather thin compared to earlier versions, and the stitching not all that tidy.....

It's a funny thing, but the Denison was made right up to Size 8 up to the end of production.......but you rarely see any of the larger sizes in the last pattern for sale.........or being worn in period photos....

It seems that "fashion" was to blame.......the late-60s through to the late-70s saw the Denison worn "short", often "bloused" at the lower edge......so the shorter size range from 1 & 2 (most commonly found) plus occasionally 3 & 4 appear to have been worn by the majority of troops....even if you were 6 foot +.........so it begs the question, where are all the larger size late-pattern Denisons...? Slashed/shredded or sold off to some third-world tinpot regime I guess........??

Compare this to WW2, when the Denison was worn usually in the correct size for the wearer, plus worn "loose" at the lower edge........in the early 1980s a great many NOS wartime Denisons (first pattern) in sizes 7 & 8 were available on the surplus market, many converted from new to full-zip.......rumour has it that they were intended for sniper use.....I bought at least 4 around this time for no more than £25 each...........and the last one I found NOS dated 1942 with a full-zip (from an oversmock) fitted was slashed (but repaired) at the Southsea D-Day show in 1994......and only £35...:)

• 2 weeks later...