Saracen starting problems possibly electrical

Hi there,

I am buying an Alvis Saracen but can't get it running. Was last running about 18 months ago. Now it will turn over but won't fire up. I'm thinking it's the coil, anyone else got any ideas or had any experience with this?

Cheers!

James S-Wright

have you undone a couple of the screened HT leads & tested for a spark? If you have a spark, loosen the banjo bolt at the carb & see if you got fuel getting up to the carb. If you have BOTH of these facilities. Then replace the condenser. This SHOULD work if the other two points have been checked & found to work. If none of these points have revealed a problem. You are going to have to look a lot closer & deeper into the problem! Yu mention that it WAS running a few months ago.

My Money is on the Fuel!

Let us all know how you get on. Good Luck!

I'd agree with the both of the above. Fuel is the first guess, takes quite a while to get fuel up into the carb at the best of times if it hasn't been started for a while, even a couple of weeks.

Check the spark, is it weak or non existant? Sorry if teaching granny to suck eggs here. Let us know more detail and we can help. If you want to see one up and running you are welcome to pop over the boarder and visit.

Cheers

Paul

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions. I'll go away and try them and keep you up to date!

Cheers!

James S-Wright

my bet is on weak fuel pump..or something even simpler, crap old fuel...my saracen takes about three or four goes before she kicks in, no matter how long she has been standing, although she is moved at least once a month...

Try squirting Bradex Easy-Start into the intake grilles... they are inside, high up on the drivers bulkead, either side of the steering wheel, and tucked behind the instruments and switch panel... if it stars on the easy-start it'll be the fuel issue, and if you need to rebuild the pump, it's a fiddly job, and awkward to get at it's under the throttle pedal floor plate, on the side of the engine.;)