Hotchkiss mis firing,erratic running.

slick50

Hi....wondered if anyone can throw some light here ! My Hotchkiss running rough...changed coil,condenser,plugs,points,fuel pump.Stripped carb (no wear and blown out)...plugs are sooty but maybe cos can't run her for long on road.

Am i right in saying there is no running mixture adj on carb only idle ?

I know this could be a hundred and one things, but maybe someone will hit on somethin i not thought about yet.

Thanks all for your help

Barry

Hi....wondered if anyone can throw some light here ! My Hotchkiss running rough...changed coil,condenser,plugs,points,fuel pump.Stripped carb (no wear and blown out)...plugs are sooty but maybe cos can't run her for long on road.

Am i right in saying there is no running mixture adj on carb only idle ?

I know this could be a hundred and one things, but maybe someone will hit on somethin i not thought about yet.

Thanks all for your help

Barry

Barry,

I had a similar problem with mine. Have you replaced the accelerator diaphragm?

Mine had an almost invisible hole near the centre, allowing fuel to go straight into the air intake, leading to a very rich mixture.

Changed it and it runs fine now.

Doug

I have a similar problem, sound almost the same, friend brought his Hotchkiss over Friday and it was purring like a Kitten. Mine sounds like a Lion with Emphasema. Was going to check the timing before moving on, but will have a look at the "accelerator diaphragm" first.....err where is that exactly ? :-D

I have a similar problem, sound almost the same, friend brought his Hotchkiss over Friday and it was purring like a Kitten. Mine sounds like a Lion with Emphasema. Was going to check the timing before moving on, but will have a look at the "accelerator diaphragm" first.....err where is that exactly ? :-D

Have a look at the photo below:

http://www.m201.com/tech/solex.htm

Its under the cover ( 6 screws) on the right of the carbareter shown.

you can buy a set of gaskets/ diaphram form dallas autos, jeeparts etc:

Doug

Definately worth a look, thats the diaphragm for the accellerator pump (gives an extra squirt when you boot the throttle), if that diaphragm has failed then fuel will dribble into the manifold.

Another one to watch is the distributor and wear in the distributor bushes. Points gap set up fine but when in use the shaft may be rotating eccentrically. Give it a good wiggle to check for wear and double-check final setting with a dwell meter if you have one.

My tuppenceworth anyway...

Alec.

Great thanks for the link to the piccy, it would make lots of sense only on closer inspection, mines got a Zenith ! carb fitted ??

says Model W - o on it...sorry for butting in slick,

Zenith carb? As far as I'm aware they were fitted to early landrovers of the old ford M151's. Anyway depending on the model, they could have a mixture screw on the main jet which has been screwed right out, but I still think the accelerator pump might be the problem, although on Zeniths, the float valve also gave problems.

Doug

If it's running but running rough, you may find it helpful to hook up a vacuum gauge and running a test on it will help pinpoint where the problem is. A bloke on the g503 forums kept going on about them so I bought one (£15.00) and tried it out. I'm no mechanic but it was very easy to use and it pointed me straight to the cause of my problem. I've since used it to set the timing better and run a few other tests, I'm converted! It now has a permanent place in my toolbox, along with all those other spannery thingys and stuff :D

I was given this website to help interpret the results in case you decide to give it a go... http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Stuart

I had a similar problem with a Hotchkiss and it was the small springs on the advance and retard

had come adrift in the distibutor allowing the cam to flop around to check is simple just take the

dissy top off grip the cam between your thumb and finger and see if it springs back when you twist it

Commander

• 2 weeks later...
Definately worth a look, thats the diaphragm for the accellerator pump (gives an extra squirt when you boot the throttle), if that diaphragm has failed then fuel will dribble into the manifold.

Another one to watch is the distributor and wear in the distributor bushes. Points gap set up fine but when in use the shaft may be rotating eccentrically. Give it a good wiggle to check for wear and double-check final setting with a dwell meter if you have one.

My tuppenceworth anyway...

Alec.

Many thanks for that Alec,will have a look at it tomorrow.

Barry,

I had a similar problem with mine. Have you replaced the accelerator diaphragm?

Mine had an almost invisible hole near the centre, allowing fuel to go straight into the air intake, leading to a very rich mixture.

Changed it and it runs fine now.

Doug

Thanks very much Doug,it's something havn't looked at although did strip carb down but never touched that.

Cheers mate.

the problem i had when i first brought mine was that it was running rough, i took the engine oil filler cap off whilst it was running to see a plume of smoke coming out like a steam engine :cry:...............every piston had broken rings, hopefully yours won`t be the same

regards

although mine had been running for some years like this with the previous owner, when i stripped it out i found the bores in good fettal and they only needed a honing, 6 yrs ago when i did this the parts (pistons, rings, little ends, big ends, mains and full engine gasket set) came to £100 from jeep parts, there was nothing wrong with the bearings, i just changed them as i had it apart

good luck