Current Service driving licence regs Q?

I'm no expert on these matters but I have no doubt that I'll get an accurate response to this from some of you fellas.

My nephew is in the RAF and has just been deployed to Afghanistan here is the q? he has just emailed me -

"Its not important as the situation as being applied means I have less to do :) but we're being told that we need a D1 licence to drive any vehicle that has a chassis capable of holding more than nine seats. So if we have a nine seat minibus that has space for two more seats, we're unable to drive it with a cat B licence. Just wondered if this was right or just some officer inventing rules? "

Over to you guys.

No for once the officer is right, at least at a civil level. The D1 is an inherited right like C1. It allows the holder to drive a vehicle having up to 16 seats including the driver. The new catagory is D, (PCV) any vehicle with more than sixteen seats including driver, regardless of weight. C1 allows driving a vehicle up to 7.5 tons GVM. Now catergory C, any vehicle above 3.5 tons GVM, excluding a trailer of more than 750kgs. The old class one Artic licence is now C+E. E being the trailer entitilment. HOWEVER!!! The military do have their own rules covering active service.

So I have D1+E so I can drive a sixteen seat minibus and tow a trailer over 750 kgs mass. I also have a D licence, so I can drive a passenger carryinmg vehicle with more than 16 seats , regardless of weight, but can only tow a 750kg trailer. Simples...

Edited by Tony B