Where can I download graph paper?

fv1609

I'm trying to plot a graph. I've given up trying to utilise grids in photo editing as once you move the image to file the grids disappear!

I've googled around & can find lots of free sites where you can download graph paper if you want to print it off. But I want to use Paint to draw on to the graph. All the downloads I've found are pdf for printing off.

I really want it in bmp but all the sites I found want me to download some fancy graph paper creating programme with strings attached.

Anyone know a site that can provide this or could send me a page of graph paper in bmp please?

Lee thank you for the quick response but it is like all the other sites I found, it only provides for you to print a sheet of paper. What I'm looking for is a say a bmp document I can put into Paint & draw directly on it on the PC.

I know I could print off a sheet, draw my graph with a pen then scan it. But that seems to be a messy analogue way of doing it in this day & age.

Could you create a grid file, then print it to pdf?
Ah but then I'm back in the same situation as downloading a ready done pdf

Will Paint open a pdf file?
Nope. Although I have programme that will open a pdf for editing etc. But I supect it converts it to Word & then I have the problem that I have never been able to extract an image from Word.

If you want a digital graph, why not enter the data in microsoft Excel, I'd have thought most computers should have it as standard. You can then create a whole range of different types of graph with the option to modify and change them to suit your needs, add grid lines, legends etc etc..

If you want a digital graph, why not enter the data in microsoft Excel, I'd have thought most computers should have it as standard. You can then create a whole range of different types of graph with the option to modify and change them to suit your needs, add grid lines, legends etc etc..

I've never really got my head round Excel. I have created a few basic files but that's about it. I've just created a block of squares & tried to open it in Paint but it won't read xls files. I could see no option of saving the xls as anything like a bmp.

Are you say I could actually plot & draw my graph directly in Excel? Great if I can but even so it will take a time getting to grips with it. As this is a feature I won't need again for long time yet, I was hoping I could just find a blank piece of graph in a bmp format.

I guess if we knew what you were trying to achieve, there might be an easier way of doing it!

Once I get a bit of electronic graph 'paper' I'm quite happy to plot & draw a line in paint.

I trying to derive tests for a 'bloke in his shed' to do on alternators using the minimum of equipment. The stator windings of an alternator I am working on has a resistance in the order of 0.025 ohms, of course this is not practical to measure directly! So I am trying to establish a graph whereby the measured current from it gives a certain voltage drop.

This ratio will always be the same for a given winding. Depending on the circumstances of someone's test circuit there will be different readings from what I might state as an example.

I wanted a graph so someone can put in their ammeter reading then read off the graph what should be the correct voltage drop, then compare it with the voltage reading they had obtained.

So my graph would have say on the y axis 4 amps to 10 amps on the x axis 0.2 to 1.0 volts

Once I get a bit of electronic graph 'paper' I'm quite happy to plot & draw a line in paint.

I trying to derive tests for a 'bloke in his shed' to do on alternators using the minimum of equipment. The stator windings of an alternator I am working on has a resistance in the order of 0.025 ohms, of course this is not practical to measure directly! So I am trying to establish a graph whereby the measured current from it gives a certain voltage drop.

This ratio will always be the same for a given winding. Depending on the circumstances of someone's test circuit there will be different readings from what I might state as an example.

I wanted a graph so someone can put in their ammeter reading then read off the graph what should be the correct voltage drop, then compare it with the voltage reading they had obtained.

So my graph would have say on the y axis 4 amps to 10 amps on the x axis 0.2 to 1.0 volts

Have you tried downloading 'open office', they have spreadsheets and you can make your own templates, I made a template for 8 up address labels maybe you could make up something from there?

Have you tried downloading 'open office', they have spreadsheets and you can make your own templates, I made a template for 8 up address labels maybe you could make up something from there?

Many thanks but Lee has found a ready made source I can just nab the image & get on with it.

If that doesn't work as well as you want Clive e-mail me the data files and I'll create the graphs for you in Excel. Only takes a couple of minutes at most!

I was going to say the same but you beat me to it. Once you've worked out how to drive Excel it's pretty simple to do.

Andy

Thanks everyone I've done it now. The trouble was that the images I could download were rather small sections, so I had to piece 4 sheets together to get the size I wanted.

A fiddle but not difficult, trouble was that my linear plot turned out to be slightly bent. Then I realised one row consisted of 9 units rather than 10. So had to start all over again.

Anyway done this relationship for the Gen No.10, now got to do one for No.12 for all you CVR(T) users.

That's another reason for doing it in Excel, Clive. Once you've done the original setup you can produce any more graphs you need just by changing the numbers in the columns. Can you post the table of figures and your end result?

Andy

Andy it will be part of a revamped charging article to be posted up here in due course. It is intended for 'bloke in his shed' tests without needing fancy test equipment. It will be quite easy to draw my new CVRT graph although I appreciate learning a new technique would save time if I was going to be doing a lot of them.

I remember a chap I knew who spent a whole day writing a programme to design a special type of microwave filter. The answer was there at the touch of a few buttons saving a 5 min long hand calculation. But I only needed to construct one of these filters once ever couple of years, so for me it wasn't even worth installing it & learning how to use it.

But what I wonder is, are kids taught about graphs? Are they still taught maths? Some people also wonder about literacy & even mathematics or maths as I'm used to saying seems now to be called 'math' :-(

Oh I see its one of those creeping in, like my mum who is called a mom

Or "Jagwar" instead of "Jaguar.. Or "Aluminum" instead of "Aluminium"..

Ah - memories of happy days winding up the colonials by not understanding what they meant till they used the correct pronunciation.

Back on topic creating a chart in Excel is easy Clive - type the data in two adjacent columns. Click on the first cell of the L/H column and click and drag to select all the cells with data in

Click insert - chart - pick the chart type (line, bar, pie etc.) and click OK

Instant chart in Excel!!

Neil, thank you that is quite easy, that's the sort of thing I was hoping for. On the down side it gives both axes starting at zero which I don't want, no individual graph boxes to ensure correct alignment when reading off values & for some reason there is a second purple line plotted that has no obvious relevance to main plot.

I might use it to get a general feel of how things plot out before I draw a proper graph or it might be useful at a business coaching seminar to show Lord Sugar my projected sales figures.

So it looks fun, not quite precise enough to take readings from, or is there some other button that can do this?

Neil, thank you that is quite easy, that's the sort of thing I was hoping for. On the down side it gives both axes starting at zero which I don't want, no individual graph boxes to ensure correct alignment when reading off values & for some reason there is a second purple line plotted that has no obvious relevance to main plot.

I might use it to get a general feel of how things plot out before I draw a proper graph or it might be useful at a business coaching seminar to show Lord Sugar my projected sales figures.

So it looks fun, not quite precise enough to take readings from, or is there some other button that can do this?

Which version of Excel do you have Clive? I was using the 2007 one which varies a bit from it's predecessors.

Basically though once you have the chart created you can edit the variables for each part of it. if you want the axis to start at a value other than "0" just right click on the axis values and pick "format axis". From that screen you can set the minimum and maximum values as well as the major and minor intervals ("grid lines").

Not sure why you have a second line if you only have two columns of data highlighted. - but if if you right click this line you can determine where the data is coming from and, if you want, delete it.