Believed late war Ford GPW need help identifying body repro or original

senschu

Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a Ford GPW the chassis seems good,engine is a willys,all ford front, possibly repro bonnet.Windshield has vacuum wipers.Owner converted to breakerless ignition so regulator missing and other bits.Would this have been a 12v or 6v and how can I tell.

What shoulld I look for to clarify original or repro tub.It does not have a notch in the dasboard upper/outer.Some dials look original others repro,would the speedo have MPH on it?

Lots of questions so any help gratefully received as I am going for second look tomorrow

Senschu

Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a Ford GPW the chassis seems good,engine is a willys,all ford front, possibly repro bonnet.Windshield has vacuum wipers.Owner converted to breakerless ignition so regulator missing and other bits.Would this have been a 12v or 6v and how can I tell.

What shoulld I look for to clarify original or repro tub.It does not have a notch in the dasboard upper/outer.Some dials look original others repro,would the speedo have MPH on it?

Lots of questions so any help gratefully received as I am going for second look tomorrow

Senschu

If there is no notch in the flange above the centre of the dash chances are its a Hotchkiss body, or certainly a repro, so many ww2 Jeeps were rebuilt by the French military and fitted with later bodys and hotchkiss/cj2 engines look to see if there is a body number stamped into the bulkhead above the fuel filter that will confirm its a hotchkiss tub, refer to the previous thread re other body differences between a willys & hotchkiss jeeps. Late jeeps had trico vacuum wipers, all originally were 6 volt, but again the french converted a lot to 12 volt, Original speedos were not marked mph, repro and later ones often were

Edited by Nick Johns

On the whole, No Notch = Hotchkiss/repro tub BUT very early Jeep tubs ( willys ) also did not have a notch..

you could Google "Andy carter M201 Jeep " it has some great Hotchkiss jeep info ..

also google "Jessie the jeep" again for some great general info ..

If you can post some pics that will help also ..

ken..

My suggestion is to take a series of Photos of the body engine bay ...Axles as many as possible and post them on the forum ....With the combined knowledge of the HMVF members you will get a consensus plus tips and advice ...

Regards

Jenkinov

Managed to take a few pics,Jeep could not be moved,I am inclined to believe it is a Ford chassis.Willys engine (bits missing!) and a Hotchkiss tub,with original what ? Detailed analysis from you knowledgable gents would be appreciated and what would you pay realistically not silly market prices.

Many thanks for any help

senschu

SAM_0886.jpg

SAM_0885.jpg

SAM_0884.jpg

SAM_0881.jpg

SAM_0880.jpg

SAM_0878.jpg

SAM_0876.jpg

SAM_0872.jpg

SAM_0871.jpg

SAM_0869.jpg

SAM_0873.jpg

SAM_0868.jpg

SAM_0867.jpg

SAM_0866.jpg

SAM_0865.jpg

SAM_0863.jpg

SAM_0862.jpg

SAM_0861.jpg

SAM_0860.jpg

SAM_0859.jpg

Yes, a Hotchkiss body, with a body number of 18xxx stamped just above the fuel filter. It also looks to be a later body due to the flutes in the brackets that support the rear body just behind the rear seat ( early ones didn't have the flutes ). Pintle hook looks wartime as the Hotchkiss ones had a safety pin to stop accidental opening.

Springs have the Ford clamps with a bolt, rather than the Willys/Hotchkiss crimped clamp around the spring leaves. No notch in the body on the dash and lots of spot welds is a Hotchkiss feature, as are the kinked side panel supports down by your feet in the drivers compartment.

It is as you correctly identified its a Ford gpw, rebuilt with a Hotchkiss tub, which is still better than a new repro one, it has a wartime engine, correct carb, fuel & air filters, only modern bit is the alternator, seems to have all the right other bits, looks ok for a good average jeep