M201 engine problems

timo376

I have a 1962 Hotchkiss jeep, 24v & it has begun to run a little rough. :-(

It is loosing power when going uphill & may possibly be running on 3 cylinders. :cry:

I had it serviced at the begining of the year, with new spark plugs, however I'm not sure the plug gap was set correctly, Does any one have the gap settings?

or any ideas as to the problem?

The jeep is back in the garage next week, for its MOT

Is the ignition dry? Moisture can be a pain.

My brothers M201 ran a little rough in the summer.

Replaced the spark plugs by the CORRECT ones and now seems to be OK.

Are the plug leads OK?

Condensator?

Succes.

For MOT that's not a problem is it?

Don't know if this helps but I've had a few problems with my M201 this year as well!

After Beltring it started running a bit rough on the way home, then died completely just after I got back. this was traced to a burnt out coil, so pretty obvious to sort that one.

However since I changed the coil (plus points, condenser and plugs) it has started to misfire and backfire on the overrun when warm, everything seems fine but the points have already grown a pip after about 150 miles. So maybe another condenser needed?

It has been suggested to me that it could be a problem with fuel additive build up (i normally use Castrol Valvemaster) and the problems do coincide with me having started to use 4 star LRP from Sainsburys! I have filled up with 95 UL and Valve master to dilute the LRP and hope to flush the system through with a decent run this weekend. Watch this space and I'll let you know if it works. I've already tried pouring Redex down the carb at a fast idle, this only served to create lots of smoke and annoy the neighbors no change to the misfire.

Paul

Something found on B Series engines is that the condensor even when replaced with a NOS one can be at fault as they tend to lose their capabilty after time on the shelf.

We normally get over this particular problem by fitting a modern day Landy one.

Not sure if this could be a fix for you but its worth a try

Something found on B Series engines is that the condensor even when replaced with a NOS one can be at fault as they tend to lose their capabilty after time on the shelf.

We normally get over this particular problem by fitting a modern day Landy one.

or fit electronic ignition, get a friend to try one out first, Does it work Stuart :wink:

I put a Maplin (Velleman kit) electronic ignition on my sons Dolomite and it worked just fine. I would like to do the same for my M201 but with the 24V system it may be a problem. Velleman give alternative component values for a 6V installation but not 24V, I have calculated new values for 24V but not tried them out yet. I may get in touch with them and get their comments, the kits are only about £10 so not much to loose but good potential for gain!

Paul.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update,

The jeep passed its MOT no problems, I got an electronic ignition fitted, to replace the points & condenser. Drove the jeep out of the garage & then 12 miles into Carlisle without any problems, THEN!!!! :-(

It began to loose power again!, I went home on the back roads as i couldn't get over 30mph, then 20, then 10, Eventually I managed to coax it back to the garage. After another check over, I needed a new spark plug, new HT lead, new dist cap & rotor arm!

It seems one of the springs inside the spark plug broke (?) & this has caused the end of the HT lead to burn away, the Rotor arm was off centre & wore off one of the contacts on the Distributor cap!, :cry:

replacements bits put on, BUT, plugs 2 &4 aren't firing!!, Now I need a new coil!! :dunno:

I haven't told the family yet, but all this is coming out of the Christmas budget, Anyone for a Christmas Burger? :-)

• 1 month later...

Just got my jeep back from the garage this week!

haven't had the bill yet :|

In the end she needed a new no. 2 HT lead, a new spark plug, a new distributor cap, rotor arm & a new coil. I also had an electronic ignition put in. She seems to run fine now, so obviously something else is about to go wrong. :angel:

Still, I didn't half miss her, even with the weather there were numerous days I really wanted to take her for a spin.

Thanks for all the advice & look forward to seeing some of you in 2007, here Up North

Tim

The Scary redcap driving the (now running nicely... jeep) on the Operation Home Guard poster (Events thread)... Sooner or later everyone I know ends up on one of me posters

...not my event just my photoshop fiddlings :computerterror:

Nice event BTW for all the northern types amonst us

It looks a good photo, I'd like a copy of it please!!

The show really hot & unfortunatly, my jeep suffered from the dreaded vapour lock & the SeaBees & James had to try & push her, that didn't work & had to be towed through the town centre :oops:

We'll be trying again this year though

See you soon Bodge & Steve

• 3 years later...

dont fit a electronic kit , ive had no end of trouble ( at war and peace this year )

we take the jeep on a trailer to long distance shows , running fine (off trailer and to chip shop )

then nothing not a spark , towed it back , brought new coil , still dead

checked everything ( by loads of people ) electronic kit at fault

rang company about kit (no answer) sat - sun - mon

rang me back mon afternoon

Sorry sir out of warranty , buy another kit and we will send it to war and peace

jeep had traveled 150 miles

Brought a new dizzy from jeep parts , ( cheaper than a kit ) now runs better than ever

i thought electronic kit had to be great , fit and forget how wrong i was

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...

I have sorted the problems out with the internal 24 volt coils, I remove the troublesome 24 volt internal coil and throw away then fit an external 12 volt coil with the ht lead going into the distributer , I connect the supply to the 12 volt coil via a cheap 24 to 12 volt dropper from ebay, all the rest of the sparking system including the condenser can be left but good idea to fit a land rover condenser if any misfires still remain, the external coil running at 12 volt is cool and reliable 

I have lots of pictures of variouse different methods to bypass the troublesome 24 volt system on my website under projects/modifications   www.willysjeepuk.co.uk 

100_2487.JPG

you will need a little nut for securing the ht lead and crimp on a little connector , the little nut can be pinched from an old set of points, see picture

you can  do a short test run without the 12 volt dropper connected as long as you connect the supply to the coil from the + on the front battery of the two,

this will do for a short distance but the batterys will soon get unbalanced as you will be pulling from the one battery that gives 12 volts

best fit a cheap dropper in the system to take the 24 volts down to 12 on way to coil, ( a nice 10 amp unit on ebay is about £25  It works superbly well, i have done many of these mods on troublesome Hotchkiss jeeps, you then also have the option of running a phone charger, satnav , 12 volt cd player  etc from the same dropper once the ignition is on, if the dropper ever failed all you have to do to get home would be connect a short lead from the front battery(12v) directly to the coil+

100_2484.JPG

misfiring when hot can also be inadequate tappet clearance , the tappets expand slightly when the engine warms up and one or more may be not have enough gap to close fully when engine heats up hence the misfire when going up long hills or under load 

check you have at least 10 thou clearance on your tappets