question uniform

gps

Question

I own a 1950 scammell explorer and I am trying to put together a uniform from the same period. Does anyone know where to position the artificer badge and on which arm should it be. I have asked people some serving some retired and I'm getting different answers. I have got the R.E.M.E. and southern command badge on the top of each sleeve.

7 answers to this question

It's not just an Artificers Badge.

It is also a Trade patch indicating qualifications.

You would wear a Brassard with your rank & associated badges on green Coveralls. Which is basically what you would be wearing when driving. As the vehilcle mainly moved when it was deployed to recover a casualty.

Small version of the 'Hammer & Tongs. = Class II Tradesman.

Large " " " " " . = Class I Tradesman.

Sergeants Stripes, Small version of Hammer & Tongs Plus a small Crown above the 'Tongs'. Artificer. (Tiffy)

It is RARE indeed today, to see the larger version of the H&T badge being worn. Mainly in Guards Regiments are they to be seen, & also in a slightly darker set of machine threads.

In General Service these days, it is the smaller version that is worn for ALL Trade levels.

(From a Man who wore a FIRST Class Trade badge for MANY years! :angel:)

Thankyou for responding.I take it that the coveralls was every day work wear,was the brassard the same sort as worn by us in the cadets.The uniform i have got is a 1950s battle dress uniform , is this wrong and not fit for purpose :-(.The trade badge is large and embroided on green felt. i am trying to get it right as i have found it is easy to offend by getting it wrong.Need help:embarrassed:.

Coveralls were De Rigeur on Excercise, & also round the workshops back in Barracks.

The job was dirty, crawling around & under vehciles would make a uniform grubby in no time!

BD's would have been worn during the fifties, yes.

When leaving the workshops & returning to the accomdation Block/ buildings. Coveralls would be removed & Normal Uniform worn.

Trade badge, are you sure it's on Green? Normally Khaki Material/felt.

Yes, worn a brassard like you had in the cadets.

BUT, Nver worn alone, Only with a Rank badge. L/Cpl, Cpl, S/Sgt. NOT with a Sergeants rank on it's own!

Staff Sergeant, Yes. But ONLY if an Artificer.

Sorry yes Khahki , greenish brown felt . dose this mean that only ranked soldiers could wear the artificer badge?

Did it wear fabric putties or leather or canvas gaiters in the 50s?

Sorry yes Khahki , greenish brown felt . dose this mean that only ranked soldiers could wear the artificer badge?

Did it wear fabric putties or leather or canvas gaiters in the 50s?

OK, Yes, ONLY Ranked personell wear the trade qualification badge.

Usual wear was CANVAS Anklets (Only Vicars wore Gaiters!) Puttees would be worn if acquired (& Tolerated at any particular unit!) Puttees were standard issue for Paras & ANY other personell if trooping out to hot climate theatre.

I wore Puttees myself, as they were comfortable & it made sense & was approved at the units I served with. Because you got better ankle support. & was recognised as such, when jumping down from AFV's etc.

It was standard issue to me when I was attached to the Parachute Regiment in the eighties. :angel: