vintage commercial tractor units

R Cubed

A 4x2 with a twin axle trailer would be ideal. You can gross at 32 tonne and with a reasonably light tractor and trailer, you should be able to carry about 22 tonnes. I used to run a DAF 2300 with a 40' step frame and whilst it was a little underpowered, it would shift given a decent flat bit!

I second Adrian's comment - a 4x2 with a twin axle trailer would be fine. If you want the reserve capacity then go for a three axle trailer or a twin-steer tractor (like a Scammell Trunker) to take your gross to 38 tonnes, but the extra complexity, tyre wear, fuel consumption and weight offset the extra payload, and if you're not going to use it it's not worth paying that penalty.

These days, most hauliers look to get 10bhp per gross tonne as a minimum, but a four-wheeler pulling a twin-axle trailer at 32 tonnes will make reasonable progress with 180bhp and above. Obviously the more the better in terms of performance, and ideally I'd think you'd want to try and find something with at least 220bhp.

Some of the older trucks I drove as a youngster would truly fly as they weren't speed limited, so although they'd die away rapidly on an uphill gradient, you could let them run way over 70 downhill to make up for it (well, you could if you were young and brave/stupid enough!). That said, these days you really can't chance your arm above 60mph.

Probably the best working truck of my carrer was an ERF E14 4-wheeler with a 410bhp 14-litre Cummins, Eaton twin-split 12-speed gearbox and Rockwell back axle. That wagon just pulled and pulled. The small cab was a bit cramped for living in, but I really enjoyed driving it and was quite upset to have to see it go. The EC14 that replaced it just didn't have the same character, despite the much nicer cab.

Any of the late 60's/70's trucks mentioned should be capable of 50+ and not too sad on the hills, but obviously it depends entirely on power and weight.

My preference would be a Scammell Handyman, I've always liked the look of the Michellotti cab design, and one of those with a Rolls engine would make a nice half-show, half-work wagon.

Economy would depend entirely on your driving style and load, but if you budget between 4 and 6 mpg laden and working hard, and around 10 empty and driving like a nun you won't be far out.

Glen.

Edited by GlenAnderson

Just to muddy the waters - do you really want a VINTAGE unit?

A vintage (pre 73) unit would be free RFtax, but you still need an mot if carrying a load. A modern truck would require private HGV RFtax but it's only in region of £165.

As Glen said, a 4x2 would do fine. As allowable gross weights have increased then large fleets of 4x2s have been disposed of as operators go to 6x2s to carry the extra weight without RFtax penalty. This has resulted in lack of a market for these 4x2s and it has been possible in the recent past to pick up some cracking well-maintained 4x2 tractor units at really silly bargain prices (so cheap folk were buying them and having the chassis extended - not a cheap job - to turn them into beaver tail plant trucks).

And looking at Ray's superb Red Ball tribute on the 'Cab Art' thread, well you don't even notice that it is a modern truck!

Vintage trucks come at a price, and getting brakes through MOTs and sourcing parts is not always that easy - yes most parts are available but not immediately. If you need reliable (i.e. easily fixable at the roadside) daily / weekly / monthly transport for a vintage MV outfit it might pay to consider a modernish unit along the lines above?

It's just a thought :cheesy:

p.s. Did anyone buy one of those brand new Scammell Michellotti cabs being sold off at garden shed prices for allotment sheds or wendy houses a few years back? What a waste :-D

Edited by N.O.S.
spelling

A vintage (pre 73) unit would be free RFtax, but you still need an mot if carrying a load. A modern truck would require private HGV RFtax but it's only in region of £165.

As Glen said, a 4x2 would do fine. As allowable gross weights have increased then large fleets of 4x2s have been disposed of as operators go to 6x2s to carry the extra weight without RFtax penalty. This has resulted in lack of a market for these 4x2s and it has been possible in the recent past to pick up some cracking well-maintained 4x2 tractor units at really silly bargain prices (so cheap folk were buying them and having the chassis extended - not a cheap job - to turn them into beaver tail plant trucks).

And looking at Ray's superb Red Ball tribute on the 'Cab Art' thread, well you don't even notice that it is a modern truck!

Vintage trucks come at a price, and getting brakes through MOTs and sourcing parts is not always that easy - yes most parts are available but not immediately. If you need reliable (i.e. easily fixable at the roadside) daily / weekly / monthly transport for a vintage MV outfit it might pay to consider a modernish unit along the lines above?

p.s. Did anyone buy one of those brand new Scammell Michellotti cabs being sold off at garden shed prices for allotment sheds or wendy houses a few years back? What a waste :-D

there is a rather nice ex RAF Seddon Atkinson 401 on milweb at moment

Mark

oops, just looked, advert not on, must have been sold, sorry!!!!!!

Edited by chevpol
update!!

p.s. Did anyone buy one of those brand new Scammell Michellotti cabs being sold off at garden shed prices for allotment sheds or Wendy houses a few years back? What a waste :-D

Dont really know what I want, suppose what I was driving at was something cheap to buy cheap to run and get spares for easily. but as there is so much out there it all gets very confusing :nut: how does the weight loading work for tractor units, I presume it has alot to do with the number of axles and springs, so do all 4x2's have the same max load ?

For hauling loads for my own benefit does the tacho come into play !!!!!!!

How does the road fund license work on trucks ? what is the mot like and costs ? and average cost of insurance for hauling for myself ( not hire and reward ) ?

What are peoples likes and dis-likes for trucks then ? what manufacturer AEC, ERF, MAN, Foden ect.

4x2 manual with 200+ HP what sort of engine ? what sort of gearbox ?

Edited by R Cubed

• 1 month later...