mystery mini moto

Mellie

Can anyone shed any light on the bike in this photo? It looks to me like it's knocked up from parts liberated from a scrapyard. The tank looks like it might be M20/16H etc, the wheels possibly from the tail of a fighter aircraft?

The photo dates from 1946, the rider is 1495747 Cpl Simon, attached to 6007 ACSU, BAFO, stationed in Celle, Germany.

He had access to a large workshop, with a huge scrapyard full of tanks, aircraft and trucks.

Can anyone confirm or deny this was just a toy knocked up in the workshops to pootle around the base on?

Mini moto 2.jpg

Gary,

I think you've nailed it with the Zundapp forks and Me109 tailwheels. Not convinced about the tank, but considering the angle iron frame and the fact it's still got the mounts on the bars for the brake and clutch, I'm now convinced it's just a toy knocked up in the workshop.

Many thanks,

Mellie

Gordon,

I did check out the Cushman. An American attempt at making a para-bike, along the lines of the British-made Welbike. Great little bike by all accounts, although they did have a few problems landing the thing safely after throwing it out of a 'plane!

Thanks for the info on the truck, I wouldn't have had a clue about that. Cheers!