WW2 British Tankers Gear in Normandy?

ajmac

I found this in the National Archives yesterday, proof that both the denim suit and the oversuit were supplied to the RAC in 1943 and of course in David Gordon's book on WWII Uniforms he does show a Pixie suit with a 1943 label! So, I think we can safely say that the items were in production in 1943 and that they were indeed with RAC stores. The 1942 overalls (the one's with the internal rescue harness and the pistol pocket) were produced in June 1942 and by September we see (colour pics at the IWM) Paget wearing one when observing a Tank Corp training exercise with Anthony Eden. That being the case it's conceivable that the Pixie suit made its way to certain senior officers by the 1943/44 winter. If it made its way to senior officer then it's likely that it also started to make its way down to some leading elements within the Tank Corps, perhaps the favoured 7th Armoured did indeed have them (ala the Bill Bellamy quote earlier) by the Normandy time frame. Hardly definite proof that they were indeed used in Normandy but enough to give one pause for thought, at least!

I have yet to track down the files covering the design of these suits (denim, pixie and jungle) but I am closing in on them. I have already identified the material used on the Oversuit and the company who made it. Incidentally, I also found an oblique reference to the withdrawal of the 1942 overalls (again, the one's with the internal rescue harness and the pistol pocket)as being dangerous to the wearers health, especially if worn when doing heavy work or in hot climates. Presumably this is a reference to the lack of air-permeability in the suit although (and it's the use of the word dangerous that makes me think this) it may also hint at something more sinister such as leeching chemicals from the suit (I've seen something similiar on chrome poisoning from leather items of wear). For the time being I'm inclined to lean to the fomer, i.e. air permeability, but I'll keep my eyes open.

oversuit.jpg

Edited by Old Git
spelling corrections and typo's - type in haste, edit at leisure!

Pete,

One problem with this, the colour transparencies showing Sir Bernard Paget do not show the denim tank suit. He is wearing a standard two piece denim Battledress suit. In the case of Eden the fit is not too bad, but note that both men have string tied around the waist of the trousers. There is a photo in that sequence of Sir Berbard being helped into his suit.by an RAC corporal and it shows it clearly as a BD.

The RAC officer in the pea green blancoed webbing has a nice example of the black overall though.

Cheers

Paul

He is wearing a standard two piece denim Battledress suit.

Actually, I didn't say that Paget was wearing the Denim Tank Suit. But I'm pretty certain he's wearing the 1942 Overalls (the ones with the rescue harness and the pistol pocket). Eden is definitely wearing the a full denim BD, most probably over his suit and shirt! But Paget looks to be wearing the 1942 Overalls with a Denim BD blouse over the top. See pic below.

large.jpg?action=e

42ND ARMOURED DIVISION EXERCISE, NEAR MALTON IN YORKSHIRE, 29 SEPTEMBER 1942. © IWM (TR 159)IWM Non Commercial Licence

And here's that picture of Eden and Paget together. The difference is obvious!

large.jpg?action=e

42ND ARMOURED DIVISION EXERCISE, NEAR MALTON IN YORKSHIRE, 29 SEPTEMBER 1942. © IWM (TR 168)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Edited by Old Git