Whay are so many American WW2 vehicles rag tops??

Nigelr32

Question

Hi all,

I guess this section is just made for questions like this.....

I'm assuming, that with a canvas roof, the screen can be folded down and you can fit more into the space allocated for shipping to Europe etc???

But, some vehicles, such as Tankers and Ambulances would not benefit from the above??

Sorry for being so stupid!!

11 answers to this question

Shipping space was one, as for ambulances that's why the WC54 was discontinued and the KD 64 came in. If I can find them there are pictures of WC51s double stacked on a pallett for shipping, also on tiny tyres as rubber was short. The other thing is a roof needs a lot of metal and construction time. Both of which can be better spent on other things.

Low shillouete is also important and with an open back you can get more in! It also gives troops all round vision.

AHHHH, but as a friend said to me when I couldn't stop laughing at the sight of Damart! Shop in a line of Anne Summers type shops in Iperes, 'It get cold in winter!' :D A decent tank suit (Or if feeling Girly) a pink ski suit! No problem! The only time an open top/sided vehicle is not fun is driving in hail or rain.

But makes it a tad nippy in winter. I for one am going to be a complete girl from the start and fit a concealed heater in my Jeep... :blush:

How times have changed!! My MX-5 Mazda has climate control!!!

What a waste of money and weight!!