Proposaled/planned changes to the driving license

This should not affect many here as it appears aimed at younger drivers but for those who might be - I got this in an e-mail today, there are plans in motion to introduce a "graduated driving license"

Basically plans are afoot to amend the rules for driving licenses such that:

• Learners may need to do a years training before being allowed to take the theory and practical tests.
  • A learner will need to do a minimum of 10 hours tuition before being allowed on the road with a accompanying driver.
  • The minimum age for an accompanying driver is to be raised to 25.
  • Accompanying drivers should also be registered as ‘approved accompanying drivers’ by completing a questionnaire to prove their suitability.
  • In addition - learner drivers will be subject to the same restrictions as novice drivers.

And for novice drivers:

• A "novice" license should run for 2 years.
  • Novice drivers should be allowed to drive unsupervised, but with certain restrictions on their driving, including:
  • Novice drivers should only carry passengers who are younger than 25 under supervision. Parents who are novice drivers and need to carry their own children should be exempted.
  • Novice drivers should not be permitted to drive at night, for the recommended period of 11pm-6am, unless supervised or travelling directly from home to work or school.
  • Novice drivers should have a zero tolerance drink drive limit of 20mg of alcohol per 100ml blood
  • Novice drivers should not drive on motorways.
  • Novice drivers should be restricted in the size of engine they can drive.
  • Any driving offences, or failure to comply with the restrictions on ‘novice’ drivers during this period, should result in automatic disqualification.
  • Novice drivers should be required to take a further 10 hours of professional tuition, during which they must drive on motorways and at night.
  • Novice drivers should be required to pass a second driving test at the end of the two year period to help ensure safe driving on all types of roads.

Full details can be found here: http://www.brake.org.uk/gdl2011campaignsummary

This is a charity not government policy its what they would like to happen not what will happen. I agree with some of the statement above but the greater majority I do not agree with. More of the nanny state do gooders wet blankets health and safety fiends who r destroying the UK. Rant over:mad::argh:

This is a charity not government policy its what they would like to happen not what will happen. I agree with some of the statement above but the greater majority I do not agree with. More of the nanny state do gooders wet blankets health and safety fiends who r destroying the UK. Rant over:mad::argh:

Agreed - unfortunately the source I got this from said these points were under active consideration by our unbeloved leaders for future introduction. Obviously the source may be wrong (not usually) so time will tell...... :(

All that is really needed is a power to weight ratio (not engine size) limit on newer drivers, increasing as they gain experience.

I can't see much benefit in curfews and such as the only way to get experience is to go out and drive. Getting driving schools to keep running lessons in poor weather, rather than cancel, would be a bonus, as would some skid pan sessions.

All that is really needed is a power to weight ratio (not engine size) limit on newer drivers, increasing as they gain experience.

I can't see much benefit in curfews and such as the only way to get experience is to go out and drive. Getting driving schools to keep running lessons in poor weather, rather than cancel, would be a bonus, as would some skid pan sessions.

Power (and posibly weight) is probably the best way forward, possibly with an engine size restriction thrown in. They could have different rules for older (more sensible?) people.

This should be easy as they already do it for motorbikes.

Mike

Most of those rules are completely ridiculous, I passed my test in December 2010 and have to use part of the A1(M) to get to my apprenticeship every day. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The way things are going I can't see myself ever being allowed to drive the MVs on the road... :-(

Most of those rules are completely ridiculous, I passed my test in December 2010 and have to use part of the A1(M) to get to my apprenticeship every day. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The way things are going I can't see myself ever being allowed to drive the MVs on the road... :-(

You may be right, but you need to remeber that the vast majority of people are sensible, but we are living in a country obsessed with H&S and wrapping up in cotton wool. We have to protect the brain dead idiots who think they are invulnerable and cannot die. After all we need these people.:shocked:

After all if you believe all the doom and gloom we will soon have no oil, will be re;ying on wid power, so no electric most of the time. Which would be a major disaster, no TV (so no Corrie, EastEnders etc) to keep the wife quiet, Worst still no PC and no HMVF.:-(:-(:-(

This will be like Medieval rimes when the only entertainment was the village idiot, So where would we be if we let them all kill themselves?

Anyway the bike test has just proven to be very usefull, the hours of practice weaving around cones comes in handy for avoiding potholes.

Miike