How is it done?

diggerdog36

Question

Ive been looking into a few MV's over the past few years, Ive kept an eye on auctions etc and a few have stated 'runs on free fuel'. I know the K60 will run on nearly anything, but how is fuel obtained for free in civvie street??

I can currently get fuel (Avtur F-34) free from work (Legally) as the bowser lads drain 25ℓ from each bowser every morning and 99% is water free. The airport then pays to have this removed!!

But how on earth do you obtain fuel for free if you dont work at an airport??

Please please PM me if you want to keep it a secret!! :-D

4 answers to this question

A pretty similar thing really. When someone fills their car up with the wrong type of fuel, then they have to have the tank drained, either by the AA/local garage etc..

The contaminated diesel/petrol mix is of no use to most people and most garages have to pay a lot of money to dispose of it legally as waste oil. Take them a few containers and most will be happy to give you the 'contam' for free, saves them money and therefore bigger profits..

The difference is that the contam has already had its road duty paid - I'm not sure about the Avtur! :shocked:

Andy

Dont panic Andy. I dont have an MV at present so theres been no Avtur used on the roads!

But, good point to note in the future!!

As of the 1st November 2008, Avtur used for private/pleasure flying will be liable to duty at the kerosene motor fuel duty rate, currently 50.35ppl. As a Registered Dealer in Controlled Oils (RDCO) Gloucestershire Airport has a duty of care to ensure that we only make supplies to customers who have a legitimate use for that oil. We therefore have an obligation to draw your attention of the requirement to pay the duty to HMRC if you use the purchase for private/pleasure flying.

It seems Avtur straight out of the bowser has not had the duty paid on it so you would not be able to use it for road use without declaring it & paying the duty.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/otemanual/HCOTEG12780.htm

Aviation Turbine Fuel (AVTUR) is a high specification kerosene, which is also supplied rebated but unmarked for aircraft use, it attracts a rebate of £0.5694p per litre, making the effective duty rate – Nil.