Scrap price induced me to remove body from Diamond T 968.

My 968 had a purpose built body with an overhead frame carrying the winch rope operated from the front winch to the rear for recovering breakdowns and wrecks. The overhead frame was removed before I aquired it, but it had been very well thought out and well made. I had intended to remove it when I start the restoration but with the present good price for scrap I thought it a good idea to do it now.

HPIM0721.jpg

HPIM0723.jpg

HPIM0729.jpg

HPIM0731.jpg

HPIM0734.jpg

Quite a pity but seeing that was not original, so be it. What are you putting back? False economy, maybe? Good luck with the project, I see some more lurking in the back ground.

That would be a 20 ton Scammell Constructor ballast tractor.

That would be a 20 ton Scammell Constructor ballast tractor.

There's a few people in East Anglia with good taste :whistle:

Good Move, Antony. So what chassis are you going to put the body on? Oh hang on, have I got that wrong? :-D

:n00b:

Edited by N.O.S.
spelling

Lurking in the background is indeed a Scammell Constructor, but I will quickly add that it is not mine, not to my taste, it belongs to a friend. Regarding the body I intend to put the chassis on?........ Originally that model had a wooden body, but the chance of finding one would be fairly remote, and building one in wood is not within my scope or pocket. I intend to build a steel body which was fitted to 968's with a closed cab, I looked at one two years ago at Beltring, and saw that it was constructed the same as the 969 wrecker body, but full length, of course. The rear half of the cab is home made, but I have another to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...
Lurking in the background is indeed a Scammell Constructor, but I will quickly add that it is not mine, not to my taste, it belongs to a friend. Regarding the body I intend to put the chassis on?........ Originally that model had a wooden body, but the chance of finding one would be fairly remote, and building one in wood is not within my scope or pocket. I intend to build a steel body which was fitted to 968's with a closed cab, I looked at one two years ago at Beltring, and saw that it was constructed the same as the 969 wrecker body, but full length, of course. The rear half of the cab is home made, but I have another to replace it.

Hi Antony , sorry to hijack your thread but would it be possible to encourage your friend to join us here and maybe post some photos and details of his Constructor on the Scammell Constructor thread here please ? http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7308-Scammell-Constructor-Gallery. :D

Hi Antony , sorry to hijack your thread but would it be possible to encourage your friend to join us here and maybe post some photos and details of his Constructor on the Scammell Constructor thread here please ? http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7308-Scammell-Constructor-Gallery. :D

And if I'm not mistaken he is also custodian of a very tidy Explorer? (steady now, Andy :nut: ).

Life just keeps getting better and better Tony ! :D Sounds like a very lucky chap !

And I thought he had lost his way.............. Only joshing!, of course I will point him in the Scammell direction on HMVF.

Thanks Antony ! I look forward to hearing about them ! -D

Andy,

My friend Terry, He of the Scammell's, called round today, so I informed him of your request for information of said Scammell's, to which he agreed to try and find some pictures.

Tony.

Andy,

My friend Terry, He of the Scammell's, called round today, so I informed him of your request for information of said Scammell's, to which he agreed to try and find some pictures.

Tony.

Thank you very much Antony , Its always good to hear of other great vehicles being preserved ! How's the Diamond coming along ? :D

• 1 month later...

Andy,

Terry has given me some pictures of the Scammell Constructor, but I am having difficulty with my scanner, and may well have to take more pictures with my camera, but I will do my best.

Tony.

Andy,

Terry has given me some pictures of the Scammell Constructor, but I am having difficulty with my scanner, and may well have to take more pictures with my camera, but I will do my best.

Tony.

Thanks Tony , I am looking forward to seeing them and hearing a bit on how the old girl made it into preservation if thats possible ! Regards Andy ! :D