Road sfatey with attitude.

Tony B

I believe that the white squares (about 1 foot square) painted at intervals in the carriageway, are the distance markers used when Police Helicopters are being used for speed trapping.

They are fairly common in the UK. I can't see why there is reference to "ridiculous" in the clip. It is a widespread enforcement method.

It is no more ridiculous that the "speed camera" signs we are more used to.

I believe that the white squares (about 1 foot square) painted at intervals in the carriageway, are the distance markers used when Police Helicopters are being used for speed trapping.

They are fairly common in the UK. I can't see why there is reference to "ridiculous" in the clip. It is a widespread enforcement method.

It is no more ridiculous that the "speed camera" signs we are more used to.

The white marks in the roads are generally used for VASCAR speed enforcement since this requires two sets of marks which can be any distance apart. To use them from the air the exact distance between the sets of marks would have to be known (which is of course entirely possible but is likely to be more problematic).

In the early days of VASCAR operation (and it has been in use since the mid-1960's) any object could be used as a marker, but the trend now is to paint markings specifically for this purpose on the road surface.

The white marks in the roads are generally used for VASCAR speed enforcement since this requires two sets of marks which can be any distance apart. To use them from the air the exact distance between the sets of marks would have to be known (which is of course entirely possible but is likely to be more problematic).

In the early days of VASCAR operation (and it has been in use since the mid-1960's) any object could be used as a marker, but the trend now is to paint markings specifically for this purpose on the road surface.

Where I used to live in Aston Clinton, the Vascar marks were painted onto the kerb stones. When the locals realised this and painted yellow stripes on just about every kerbstone, the Police put in two posts like the Motorway distance markers....But these where onto set into the grass and were moved with great regularity by the local population..... I think the Police gave up with Vascar in that location, because so many people where prepared to interfere with their distance markers.

Some Police Helicopters are Vascar equipped.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/police201.htm

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23545518-police-use-1000-an-hour-helicopter-to-trap-speeding-drivers.do

http://driverstechnologyassociation.co.uk/what-the-papers-say/spy-in-the-sky.htm

Edited by antarmike