SMLE Back sight help

BIGREDONE

The best thing is to try freeing it of first. Wrap the sight in a rag soaked in three in one oil.

Don't be tempted to use anything like WD40 it knackers the wood. What you have is a SMLE No1 these are the gurus: http://www.leeenfieldrifleassociation.org.uk/ Looking at the picture ther appears to be a lot of old varnish/Cosmoline. A cotton bud used to judisoly apply nail varnish remover might free it up. No sibn of volley sight so probably a Rifle N0 1 Mk 111* These were used up to about 1945. Though with a SMLE never say never. The old guns are still going.

Edited by Tony B

B.R.O: The axis pin, which the whole assembly pivots upon. Needs the Axis pin, carefully drifting accross & out. There SHOULD be a small straight crosspin that retains the axis pin. This needs drifting out FIRST! Then lift off the complete sight assembly & soak it for 24 hours in Penetrating fluid, OR, Parafin. This SHOULD loosen it up enough for you to 'Work' the parts by hand so it functions correctly again. When all is OK, lube it with oil & reassemble. Easy! :angel:

Thanks one and all for the help....re,

B.R.O: The axis pin, which the whole assembly pivots upon. Needs the Axis pin, carefully drifting accross & out. There SHOULD be a small straight crosspin that retains the axis pin. This needs drifting out FIRST! Then lift off the complete sight assembly & soak it for 24 hours in Penetrating fluid, OR, Parafin. This SHOULD loosen it up enough for you to 'Work' the parts by hand so it functions correctly again. When all is OK, lube it with oil & reassemble. Easy! :angel:

May I ask what BRO is:red:? I will have a go and report back.

Thanks again

Paul

I assume you know that the cap on the left hand end of the slider is a locking ring that must be undone first ?

Hi,

The sight has been in soak for three days now so hopefully thay may free up the parts, however I did not know it was a "locking" ring, the only other one I have seen pushes in to adjust? anyway I have a go at unscrewing it, cheers for the info.

Paul