100 Years of the Tank - any events?

ajmac

Obviously this is the decade which will mark 100 year since the Tank was invented (about 100 yds from where I am typing:-)). I noticed when looking up some details on the Ashford MkIV that a group in Kent is attempting to get a number of WW1 tanks from various countries restored and running for the anniversery. It was unclear if these would be replicas or restored originals. They were talking about a figure of £2.3 million for the project...

A group in Lincoln are fund raising to build a replica MkIV for the city, but I don't know if they mean 'look alike' or a 100% reproduction.

I believe that 'little willie' was the first tracked trench crossing vehicle that the Fosters team developed during WW1. The William Fosters factory once stood just off Firth Rd in Lincoln, Uk, it was pulled down in the early 90's. Tritton went on to change the design completely into the well known british tank shape of that period. The track design was finalised at the top of town in the White Hart hotel where Tritton rented a room. Come and visit in the summer, Lincoln is a great place.

Edited by ajmac

Tracked AFVs pre-date little Willie by several years- little Willie was the first successful tank designed in Britain.

The Mendeleev AFV in russia started about 1911 and design work continued until the economic crisis overtook Russia in late 1915 -if completed it would have weighed 170tons and carried 120mm gun and Mgs plus an armour max. of 150mm on the front face. It was a ship yard design and therefore was a landship.

At the other end of the scale the Vezdekhod -(go anywhere) as small turreted tank about the size of a UC -sufficently developed that the chassis was running in december 1915- the armoured body was compeleted but was never fitted again probably due to economic disruption. Of interest the armour was a composite with a stainless steel mesh sandwiched between layers of ductile steel- so Chobham and Dorcheter armour is nothing new.

In Britain the foster tank is well known -what is not apparent is little willlie would have had a turret if it had been completed as designed. There were numerous other trial vehicles -the tracked armoured tri-cycle the Killen Straight is well known less so the Pedrail which like Vezdekhod was a mono track system.

The frist practical design was about 1910 by the young Australian designer/engineer Lancellot de Mole, this vehicle built as a small scale model as a bath shaped hull with a fully developed transmission and steering-both the Australian and British authorities were none-plused by the plan so it was ignored:-(. When enlisted in AIF as a young officer his letter of introduction to GoC. AIF HQ in Europe is reputed to pointedly said- "this is lt. de Mole, he is a genious and a valuable asset- find him employment where he will not be put at risk, but do not allow him to interfere with military equipment and take no notice of any hair brained mechanical schemes he may propose.":wow:.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
addition

As usual, interesting stuff Steve. However would you still agree that there is a significant anniversary coming along?

How about: The design, manufacture and acceptance into military service of the worlds first fully tracked AFV (by William Fosters of Lincoln). A design which lead to the introduction of tracked AFVs onto the battlefield up to the present day.

Chop and change as you like:-D

Edited by ajmac

Hi Alastair,

It's difficult to celebrate the first production of the tank as other nations will be revisionist about who invented the tank as I recounted previously, Fosters had fairly large numbers of tractors already in use from the early months of the war.

Therefore I think the day to commemorate is 15th September 1916 when the British took tanks into action for the first time in history at Tiepval. The 100th Cambrai Day will be emotive -20th November 2018 - the battle itself which took place on 20th Nov. 1917 but that is more an RTR/RTC memorial day I suppose- either way I'm sure Bovy or IWM may do something funds/financial situation allowing.

Steve