Modified Conqueror -- id please

David Molyneux

I have a feeling there were a few tanks modified with cranes for use on a range for positioning targets. They may have been Chieftain, so perhaps this one predates them. Something tells me it was on one of the experimental trials ranges such as used by RARDE and suchlike. Looks like it has a winch fitted as well.

Richard Farrant

I have a feeling there were a few tanks modified with cranes for use on a range for positioning targets.

The crane tanks date back to Centurion Mk2 used at Kirkcudbright in the 1960s -until replaced by a similar model on the Chieftain. So the Centurion would pre-date this Conqueror conversion.

Landyandy

its a mk 2 arv with the side boxes removed,

While almost certainly some form of crane and the vehicle is certainly a ARV but looks more like the prototype FV200 series ARV rather than one of the 20 Conqueror ARV Mk2s FV222, note in particular the vertical winch cable rollers at the extreme rear -the FV222 had a pully wheel type similar to the earlier Mk1 ARV FV219.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
quotes

Could the Tractor unit be an Atkinson Venturer?

It looks like it from the rear windows, what is more concerning is the trailer is more than likley a King TD35 (35 TON LOAD CAPACITY) what weight do you think it is actually carrying !

That trailer has no hydraulics, the neck was disconected by manually jacking the trailer bed, I know because I used to move my Antar on one, jacking that with a 24 ton load on was hard enough with 2 15 ton toe jacks.

antar

what weight do you think it is actually carrying !

I don't know what a FV200 ARV weighs but the Mk2 ARV weighed 57ton -of course some prototypes like the Challnger ARV prototype were badly overweight compared to spec. So allowing that the crane cab and turntable would equal anything like winch which could have been removed from the interior through the front plate the weight will still be between 50-60tons which is a bit much for a 35ton load capacity- the rules must have been very relaxed back then. By the look of the trailer wheels the whole thing looks maxed out. Edited by steveo578

.... like winch which could have been removed from the interior .....

I suggest the winch is still in the vehicle, because the winch rollers do not appear to exactly match either a ARV Mk2 or the FV200 , and it would seem strange to modify the winch rollers and then take out the winch. Or viewed another way, surely if you remove the winch, you would remove the rollers at the same time.

Edited by antarmike

antarmike

I suggest the winch is still in the vehicle, because the winch rollers do not appear to exactly match either a ARV Mk2 or the FV200 ,

I only suggested the winch being probably the only viable valuable component in the written off range aid/crane and it makes the removal of the glacis understandable -the crane-turntable would have to be removed before cutting through the superstructure roof all requiring another crane - cutting the glacis would allow the complete winch possibly including the frame (assuming it had one) to be pulled out without a crane! If they had a use for the winch it would not be necessary for its function to have the winch rollers.

IMO the photos in post#1 match the photo I posted in #11 which is probably the FV209 the 1951 Vickers M/S FV200 ARV prototype I have marked in yellow the points of commonality

points of commonality exhaust,aux.exhaust,hatch,roof,wheels and rollers. note the rollers on the vehicle shown in Post#1 and #11 are very different than that shown on the photo of the wreck FV219 (below) which has also had its spade removed

and it would seem strange to modify the winch rollers and then take out the winch. Or viewed another way, surely if you remove the winch, you would remove the rollers at the same time.
Assuming the winch rollers were modified it could have happened any time in the long life of the FV209, which had a 10 year+ life at FVRDE and was involved in sorting problems with Fv219 and later FV222 there were numerous problems with the winch in FV219 to the extent that one of the three trial series was returned to Vickers -and was never seen again! -which is a bit like the documentation of Vickers which was handed over to Cambridge University -no doubt never to be seen again. The FV209 was also used for DD development in which it lost its rear spade and at some time it was used to develop a front spade -which later led to development of the same in the Chieftain ARV. The production FV214 had a different winch roller similar to the FV222 half of which were production line rebuilds of FV214.

Steve

conqueror ARV protoype alt.jpg

CONQ005PSAB alt.jpg

conqueror arv 1.jpg

Edited by steveo578
problems with photo upload & word wrap + wrong number Fv214 should be FV219

I understand your logic now, Winch removed just prior to scrapping does indeed make sense. I spend several minutes flicking back and forth between photo's before making decision that rollers were different. Putting the two photographs next to each other does make it easier to compare and yes this could be the FV200 prototype.

Edited by antarmike

• 11 years later...