24 volt MP3 player questions

fv1609

For some years I've been using a 24v CD player in the Wolf. But CDs get scratched. lost & generally abused, the time has come to move on & load my favourite CDs onto a USB stick.

I've found a supplier of a 24v radio that has no CD player but can play MP3 files via a USB stick.

http://safemanuals.com/fullswf-VDO.php?type=.SWF&file=SWF/VDO/02-12-10-05-33-48-226026&langue=en&img_width=595&img_height=842&cat=vide

The questions are if I load CDs onto a stick that I have converted into MP3 files.

Will it allow me to play each CD in turn, maybe skipping a track if I get fed up with it?

Can I skip a whole CD file & move on to another, or do I just have to listen to everything track by track CD by CD until I get to what I want?

Or will it shuffle & randomly play tracks here & there because that is what it can only do or can I choose that option should I want to do that within just a CD file?

Or will take it upon itself to bunch tracks in what it seemed to be called 'genres'. I'm not interested in that sort of nonsense, I just want to play what I want to play in a similar way as one might play a CD.

I've googled around but nothing seems to give me those answers. Do the logos on the data sheet indicate if these facilities are available or does it just show the type of file that can be read?

(Please don't anyone suggest I do anything with ipods. I have 2 of these irritating arrogant little devices & the software that assumes control of my PC when any sort audio file is used. Furthermore it likes to wipe what is on one ipod without allowing me to just add a few tracks. I found one of these things with a metal detector I just wished I had left it buried!)

PS I've found a fuller description, which answers many of the points. But would appreciate any comments about any pitfalls of making files & negotiating music this way on the move. Or indeed anyone know of a better or easier to use 24 volt player.

http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com/en/vdo/main/hidden/downloads/special_oem_solutions/audio_products/aud_tr7322u_vdo_12_volt_rds_manual_en.pdf?redirect=false

Edited by fv1609

The problem is that I like to retain a supply to the radio memory to maintain the station preset buttons. I don't like have a converter permanently connected & indeed all the ones I've looked at in the past took a standing current of about 100 ma. This is not so good for the battery if the vehicle's not be used for a week or two.

Clive

You should be able to do all that.

Page 3

Buttons 6 & 7 select previous and next track (does what it says on the tin)

Button 11 - MP3 repeat play - does what it says repeats

Button 12 - MP3 Random play - randomly selects from the whole USB stick

Button 13 - MP3 folder back - next album

Button 14 - MP3 folder ahead - next album

Being computer technology each album is stored as a different folder. You have the chance to make your own folders containing your favourite tracks.

Note will only accept 8GB memory sticks with max 500 tracks and/or 30 folders/albums for best performance

Mike

Mike, thank you for spelling it out, now that all looks like what I want. I think it was "folder back" etc that confused I was thinking CD rather than PC terminology.

What do you make of "Programme entry play 10 secs". I don't get that, does it just play 10 secs of a track then skips to the next unless you decide to lock onto it?

It worried me a bit that "Not all USB devices are compatible", so is that anything bigger or smaller than 8Gb really?

Many thanks.

I have one of these (linky) I plug it into a cheap MP3 player with my music and it plays through the car radio, you just tune it into a spare frequency. You can upload your music to MP3 player and scroll through your files till you find your desired track/album then listen away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logic3-MIP168K-Transmitter-Car-Charger/dp/B000RT20NE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1297453967&sr=8-16

There are cheaper ones available also.

Ah but I don't have a MP3 player.

With the player & transmitter then tuning it on the radio, just too many things to fiddle with whilst on the move & too much clutter.

With just a radio/MP3 player (without even the extra buttons of a combined CD player) appealed as it is easier to operate.

Clive

Programme entry 10 sec does just play the intro, can't really see the point unless you decide to play "name that tune"

It is basically a USB 1.1 device which puts the limit on size and speed of USB drives that can be used. As such this is what prevents some of the newer ones working.

If you have a larger drive you may find it works but it will not register its full size.

This also happens with digital cameras and memory cards, some will not recognise the card, or only part of it because the inbuild technology was limited to that available at the time.

As this is a 24v radio they are probably not pushing the technology barrriers as it is a much smaller market. Older technology keeps the price down.

Mike

I have one of these (linky) I plug it into a cheap MP3 player with my music and it plays through the car radio, you just tune it into a spare frequency. You can upload your music to MP3 player and scroll through your files till you find your desired track/album then listen away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logic3-MIP168K-Transmitter-Car-Charger/dp/B000RT20NE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1297453967&sr=8-16

There are cheaper ones available also.

Have one of those for mine works fine in the car.

No good in the Land Rover though for 3 reasons, in my case

1. No radip

2. No cigarette lighter

3. 24 volt

Mind you being a S3 I wouldn't hear it anyway.

Mike

Thanks all. The other factor is in the Wolf there is no obvious place to mount a radio that doesn't destroy the authenticity nor make in an obvious place for a thief.

The present radio is bolted in an ammo box, where I can reach it but not see the display. It is operated by touch, so the less knobs & buttons the better!

There's obviously a prize waiting for the first person to hide an MP3 player in one of those dummy radio BID modules ... :cool2:

Andy

:rotfl:That had crossed my mind, but what I paid for a BID unit, dont want to rip the gutts out! When I went to try and buy system for my Airportable for my Death Metal taste in music the salesman walked away :-D.

Andy.