Flying Pigs

Richard Grosvenor

Question

24 answers to this question

Yes, they have fold out riot screens on the sides and one on the roof, to provide a mobile barracade as well as cover for observation in a riot.

here is mine, very rare as its a mk1 and has screens? only ever seen them on the mk2 (up armoured)

The humber FV1600 series was called a pig because of its ugly appearence, i love the loooks! also due to the fact a humber pig is a breed of pig as well..

http://gallery.smartservertwo.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=4897

A photo for you Paul..

So Lee I assume that is mid 1970s? As these wings are early mesh type, the EMER for them was issued in 1976 & the EMER for the barricade ram was issued 1975. Although I can't see the wing mirrors they do not seem to have migrated to the front of the bonnet, which happened in 1977.

In the photo there is a piece of wood with aluminium paint mounted on the offside wing to balance the VRN plate on the near side. This predates the dayglow red strips & note the ram is not covered with red paint each end that private owners love to do.

I note that the rear armour, which is in two sheets, has not been folded down (or not fitted) as you can see the soldiers feet. He probably feels safe at the rear but his feet are unprotected.

Its interesting that the Rovers are all facing in the opposite direction.

Can you read the VRN on the original? Then I can see what I've got on this vehicle.

Clive,

sorry can't answer any of those questions as I grabbed the photo off an Ad for a DVD on eBay, the item is...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190064919038&rd=1&rd=1

OK Lee, I was hoping you had a little pile of rare photos of pigs! I've looked at the other DVDs, quite tempting. But I don't know what I might have got on tape already. For 20 years I have tried to record NI programmes, then transfer the vehicle bits over to a second recorder which of course loses some quality.

What I do now is record to a hard drive recorder. Chop out the non vehicle bits, then put them on a disc, then on to the computer. For Christmas I bought myself Magix Movie edit pro 11 & the accompanying literature is appalling in is ambiguity, contradictions & poor help. But by fiddling with buttons & seeing what happens & what doesn't, I am getting there.

What I am doing is arranging clips chronologically, its amazing how programme makers cheat! Often vehicle clips are a few seconds sandwiched between interviews. So I can string the sequences together.

Its very useful to then make jpgs of interesting shots. Before the HDD recorder I had to freeze frame the video player & take a photo of the TV screen!

I expect those DVDs will be around for a while yet, as I am sure it will be a regular bit of business for that seller.

Hi Clive,

all what's on those videos can be viewed on "you tube", you can watch the series "The Troubles" in 24 parts on there.. here's a couple of links the last two are parts 14 & 15 of "The troubles" watching these again I've only just realised the Army went on the streets with bayonets fixed.. bit hard to read the reg No's on the Pigs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCpc2LR5C8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHdk9CiTnnw

"The troubles" part 14

"The troubles" part 15

Clive,

this one has Pig 22BK31 & SARACEN 83BA19 I think :dunno:

The Troubles part 16

Yes 22BK31 in what I call the "Shoot the priest scene" That one that I have photo of in the camera in from of the TV & video mode.

That series was good in that generally it is in order & dates are defined. I wish I had kept the complete programmes on tape to retain the context. Then when I copy to DVD I would have avoided going through a degradation stage of a second video.

The quality of youtube is poor, generally ok at that size picture, so the DVDs would be of interest. But is it possibly to save youtube clips? I can save google videos ok. But youtube if it goes to my favourites I think it just saving the link, so I thought I could post it to myself! But they mean post as in post to a blog. Is there a way to save?

A couple of years ago BBC4 ran the Battle of the Bogside & I have a good copy of this still on the first video, I have captured quite a few pics. The annoying thing is that the most photoed RUC pig was 3071EZ. Unfortunately of the 10 RUC FV1609s one got written off & was replaced with an Army FV1611. It had some RUC embellishments but is not the same as a proper FV1609. But it was invariable always at the front of a riot & therefore gets more pics of it. Whether that was because it was a more reliable vehicle or maybe they didn't like it so it got pushed to the front! See what I mean, paint & burning petrol. The give away as a FV1611 & not a FV1609 is the rail on the roof (for the canvas in Army service), bridge plate, rectangular not oval light guards, wipers fixed to vehicle - on FV1609 the wiper motors are fitted into the windows!

width=467 height=404http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/RUCPig08a.jpg[/img]

I have a picture of mine in the Bogside covered in paint & stones. But I don't think it was ever torched.

hi the last link ( part 15 ) has the date 30 jan 1972 that was sunday bloody sunday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/30/newsid_2452000/2452145.stm

At the march at the begining, it always fascinates me as the Foden water cannon is brought in then covers everyone including film crews in water, a husky voice bellows "Brilliant guv"

When playing it runs on Windows Media Player, I can find no way to save it other than a link & no way to snap a frame. I have PowerPlay which allows frames but can't get it to run the clip, WMP takes over. Deliberate I suppose?