Cleaning data plates

Rick W

If you didn't want to remove the top layer you could always try placing a piece of paper over the plate and rubbing with a crayon or a pencil. All the knobbly bits would stand out then...

If its a mess of corrosion thats probably a none starter but its nice and easy to do without resorting to a polish.

As stated the plate material will be the biggest factor.

Brass: any store bought brass cleaner. some even say to use vinegar.

Zinc: you can polish it with a rubber eraser, or any very fine polish with a cloth wheel.

Data plates were etched (both copper and zinc) so you will most likely have to paint it again.

My advice: DON'T CLEAN IT!!!!!!!!

The NUMBER ONE reason items lose value is becuase the original finish has been removed. Firearms are one collectible where finish is everything. An original blued finish.. even when less that 50% of original is still WAY MORE COLLECTIBLE then if reblued.

Most data plates are available as reproductions.... an accurate jeep reproduction data plate (brass, as on my 42 GPW) is less than $30. My originals are in a display on the wall. The repro's are on the glove box.