Next Ward LaFrance restoration

TooTallMike

Forum member Adrian Scott has recently acquired a Ward LaFrance which has been on the rally scene in the Middlesborough area for many years. It is now undergoing some major repairs to the bodywork and running gear. The cab was found to be badly rotted: the floor will need to be replaced and the side panels repaired. The front wings are badly rusted where they join the chassis, and the radiator and its frame are both compromised. It is now looking like a candidate for a performance upgrade, but more of that anon.

The front axle has already been rebuilt with new driveshaft seals, swivel seals, hub seals, brake linings etc.

For now here are some photos of the truck showing how it currently stands.

Axlerebuilt.jpg

WLFstripped.jpg

Rustedfloorpanel.jpg

- MG

The cab was found to have been a modifed GMC one as so many are. The floor had been patched extensively in all the normal rust spots, as had the side panels. I am pleased to report that this morning I saw the freshly repaired side panels and was very impressed. Once the floor and back panels are repaired to the same standard it should be a pleasure to bolt back together again.

- MG

The engine has been stripped of unwanted ancillaries and the flywheel housing has been changed for SAE3. Flywheel is ordered and engine has been steam cleaned. Next job is to reverse the sump, modify the pick-up pipe and cut out a section to clear the chassis cross-tube.

P1150002.jpg

P1150004.jpg

- MG

The truck was based in the Middlesborough area before coming down South. No comment on the previous asking price but there was a story behind it :-X.

Yesterday the engine was removed and the front half of the chassis was steam cleaned in preparation for painting.

Steamcleaningoutside.jpg

Gearboxoff.jpg

Also, the Cummins sump was removed and the pick-up pipe extended to permit the sump to be reversed. This evening the sump will be notched to clear the chassis tube.

Before:

Sumpoilpipebefore.jpg

After:

Sumpoilpipeafter.jpg

- MG

Unfortunately in stripping down the W L F we have not found any hidden gold bars as yet !!!! , i brought the truck from a good friend of mine and we had it on hire on a film set for a couple of months over the summer so its turned out to be a pretty good buy after the hire , have to say that the restorations have developed a bit more than planned but the finished truck should be good when finished . The picture below is the truck on set !

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02891.jpg

• 1 month later...

We've been very busy in the last few weeks on the truck: the front half of the chassis is now in OD; the front air brake cylinders have been rebuilt; the correct mechanical handbrake has been installed (thanks Tony NOS :thumbsup: ); the front axle interlock has been installed, the front prop has new UJs; the cab has been extensively repaired; the steering box mount has been replaced with a properly fabricated item; the Cummins has been prepared, mated to gearbox and now sits in position in the chassis. First job next time is to fabricate engine mounts.

In the mean time Adrian went to Army Cars a couple of weeks ago and came back with a vehicle set of torque rods, vehicle set of UJs, replacement gearbox to Xfer box propshaft, front air cyl overhaul kits, rear springs, rear brake chambers and more.

P3090003.jpg

P3090002.jpg

P3090004.jpg

- MG

Yes, some serious work you're doing there, looking good. Are you going to keep the power steering set-up?

Glad the parts have been put to good use. Maybe I should have had some parts off Adrian's motor to get my spares truck going instead of the other way around, but I think overall the best truck won! :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...