Yes I'm REME as well !

Seylec1

Evening all,

I'm Shaun, live near Maldon in Essex.

No vehicles at present, spend to much time fixing other peoples!

Bit late to put on here, but hopefully its already been mentioned; I'm one of the organisers for the Basin Armoured Division Winter Rally which is on next weekend (Sunday 16th January) at the Millbeach pub, Goldhanger rd, Heybridge, Maldon, Essex, CM9 4RA.

This is an annual Rally known by the Essex MVT as the bumfreezer, all military vehicle owners and clubs are welcome, previous rallly pics and a bit of back ground on me is available at : http://www.seylec.com/id5.html

If anybody wants to bring a military vehicle or military display stand/stall, please get to site by 10.30am to log in and get your food vouchers.

We have got parking for transporters in a secure compound and launching facilities for amphibious vehicles, High tide is about 2.30pm.

Vehicles normally stay on site for a couple of hours, few regional papers will be around and CMV have done some good spreads on the event in the past.

From Lunch time the pub has live 40s music and acts going on in to the evening, the pub will be dressed as a wartime French Cafe to add to the atmosphere.

Overnight camping is available at the Millbeach, Phone 01621 852650 to confirm numbers and their will be something musical going on in the pub saturday night (besides drinking !)

Hopefully see a few of you then, I'm now going to see who I know on here !!!!

Edited by Seylec1

welcome shaun

i was talking to a fella the other day who sells vehicles and he said most of the guys that come to him are ex reme ,you'd have thought that we would have learned our lesson while still serving, i suppose the grease gets in the blood.

all the best

eddy

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys, I served with the forward repair group at 7th armoured workshops at Fallingbostel from Jan 1964 to Jan 1968.

We had 12 half tracks. all named after animals from Alligator to Lynx. Most were fitted out with 3 bunks, a two burner petrol cooker and bins for the rations. After exercise March Hare in 1964 we were also issued with Aladin parafin heaters mounted on a wooden base to stop them from topling over. For communication we had a C13 radio.

The best part was when on exercise we were detached from the worksop fending for ourselves. We were issued with compo rations which we used to suppliment with food obtained from farms or local villages.

All in all we were very comfortable in our half tracks.

Regards Gordon.

Hi Guys, I served with the forward repair group at 7th armoured workshops at Fallingbostel from Jan 1964 to Jan 1968.

We had 12 half tracks. all named after animals from Alligator to Lynx. Most were fitted out with 3 bunks, a two burner petrol cooker and bins for the rations. After exercise March Hare in 1964 we were also issued with Aladin parafin heaters mounted on a wooden base to stop them from topling over. For communication we had a C13 radio.

The best part was when on exercise we were detached from the worksop fending for ourselves. We were issued with compo rations which we used to suppliment with food obtained from farms or local villages.

Regards Gordon.

Have you got any pictures Gordon -- love to see the halftracks in service -- go to http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?23368-REME-Forward-Repair-Teams -- should bring back a few memories!

Regards Gordon.

I was with 5 Armd Wksps in the 1950s and we used to exchange our Pom..... dehydrated potatoe with the German farmers in exchange for fresh eggs. The reason that we hated the stuff was because the army cooks just added water, it was like eating wallpaper paste, the farmers wives would put butter and milk into the mix making it much more pallitable. We only had one Halftrack and that was rigged with a crane for heavy lifting in the field, I believe that REME continued using Halftracks in that role untill well into the 70s. (I now own one amongst my collection.) Happy days.

• 2 weeks later...