Valentine Archer tank destroyer

martynsmith

Here's a bit of u-tube footage of an Archer shooting up an early production Tiger 1e.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1WcGSSmUU?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1WcGSSmUU?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

a late relative was with the Westminster Dragoons, part of 79the Armoured Div with Sherman Crab flail tanks. Don't have an exact date but in the period from one week after the Rhine crossing and 6th May 1945, the Regt was (from his memoires) 'doing amphibious training in case the Germans held out in Norway. We would have had Valentine DDs'.... 'by then Valentines had a GMC 2 stroke diesel. We had DUKW's for water training and Valentine hulls for the land training'.

He did tell me himself that the Valentines had had the guns removed, although didn't know whether that had been done in Holland where they were training or in the UK..or how many they had..

They were sent off with a mixed troop to 3RTR in Flensburg post hostilities - the only flails to remain in service - but that mixed troop contained all sorts of 'funnies' and maybe a stripped Valentine/Archer, he wasn't certain after the years..

Just to repeat what I said in a personal message:

All Valentine 17pdr SP's were new build vehicles. They used standard late Valentine suspension and wheels. The hull is similar to Valentine but not the same: plate thickness and the fighting compartment to engine bulkhead being the main changes. The engine/transmission is identical to all GMC Valentines: any differences will not show in a model.

Any variation between suspension and wheels between late Valentine and 'Archers' is due to model making companies errors.

Steve

>The personel armament of the SPG was a Bren and a 2inch mortar- there seems to be no specific stowage for Stens although they must have been stowed somewhere or guard duty would be impossible!<

Any idea where the Bren and 2'' were stowed? Was the Bren for local defence or mounted and if so where?

I believe the two Stens were stored to the left of the driver's seat, on the inside of the front left armour behind the ammo bins

Smudge

Your a bit short on words Adrian.... are the three or four all from the middle East? I presume that that's the location where they were last used / owned / stored.

As previously noted, Bovington, Wheatcroft x2 and Cadmans always had one though I can't remember seeing it lately. It may be one of KWs.

Having just re-read Johns post, our numbers tally!

As previously noted, Bovington, Wheatcroft x2 and Cadmans always had one though I can't remember seeing it lately. It may be one of KWs.

Adrian.

With both of Kevins Archers being white washed I always assumed they had both come from Israel ? but it makes you wonder if there are more to be found there.

Rob.....................rnixartillery

Sometimes I make two mistakes that cancel each other out! Sloppy English added to me not knowing KW had two: I thought he only had one, total 3 in UK!!! I can confirm that Rex Cadman still has his (ex Budge collection) but restoration progress is slow. He keeps promising me a go!