about Rover 8 FFR

touchwood 2a

Question

24 answers to this question

Two possibilities I can think of.

One is that it could have been to support a wire cutting attachment in an internal security situation.

App2540.jpg

The other is that it was for fixing the front supports for the frame incorporating the telephone line laying installation.

Edited by fv1609
Add picture

Jarda

I did say that if you posted it on Forum that Clive was probably the man. I knew about line laying role, but the tricked up defence version with a wire cutter was a new one on me.

Can you share the link you mentioned to me as it sounded very interesting.

Clive did the Army actually make a note of which vehicles were identified for these roles on a contract number or run of Chassis numbers etc??

What super images. Crisp, clear & in colour, high gloss DBG really says it all for me. Many thanks for linking those. Anymore? Like Pigs or Shorlands?

Jarda....any chance as I have an FV1611A as well now! Needs a little sprucing up though!

You always seem to come up trumps with quality of images. :-D

FV1611A_funny arm on front nearside.jpg

I'm composing three separate emails but getting willingly distracted by the ping of notifications here. Very nice lots of things to not here which is nicely defined by dates. We have:

Disruptive camo in brown & DBG very early 70s & rarely identified as most of what we see is in B&W.

ERM not on NS wing, but painted on radiator/bonnet armour. Can only read one 31BK??

Call sign on door.

Recovery chain

Width gauges both sides.

Windscreen mesh.

Coaxial feed to manpack ant adaptors (How many times was I told I had that wrong on my other Pig?!)

Crowd/cattle barricades on roof.

I think you'll find it is DBG

That image clearly shows the pattern and contrast of Black and Green Cammo, even in B&W. I am convinced Clive....

Image 616 of 770 is definately in Cammo pattern not a solid single uniform colour????????????

I am not snow blind yet :nut:

Edited by Rover8FFR

That image clearly shows the pattern and contrast of Black and Green Cammo, even in B&W. I am convinced Clive....

Image 616 of 770 is definately in Cammo pattern not a solid single uniform colour????????????

I am not snow blind yet :nut:

Look I'm far too excited exploring all these to be rational. Yes that one is very likely black & OD (nearly 10 years before IRR NATO Green) this one was what I was meaning brown & DBG.

http://victorpatterson.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/N-Ireland-Troubles/G00004uHYDFdRY48/I0000ncuwlLuIM0g

I've gone up to 700/770 now going to explore downwards, if you see what I mean.

Look I'm far too excited exploring all these to be rational. Yes that one is very likely black & OD (nearly 10 years before IRR NATO Green) this one was what I was meaning brown & DBG.

http://victorpatterson.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/N-Ireland-Troubles/G00004uHYDFdRY48/I0000ncuwlLuIM0g

I've gone up to 700/770 now going to explore downwards, if you see what I mean.

Brown green in NI pre dates Black green????? what was the thinking behind that in urban theatre???

Brown green in NI pre dates Black green?????
Nope I had always assumed that black & green relates to particularly exBAOR Pigs & was just that they came like that.

Brown green in NI ....... what was the thinking behind that in urban theatre???
Haven't the foggiest idea, because there are so few colour pics of Pigs one sees that so rarely. But there were some RUC Commer water cannon that were originally light admiralty grey that were mostly changed to OD (or sim) still with the RUC that were used later by the 17/21st Lancers who painted them brown & green. Very strange.

Great colour images , what I like is that it shows a DBG spray job covering all the galvanised body cappings. Raises the rivet-counter purist paint job question at Resto. a) as it left Solihull DBG with exposed galv. or b) re-sprayed , probably just prior to first issue from Ordnance Depot. I think b) is better

Don't think those Rovers can have been on the streets long ?