AS90 & the Defence Review.

Hi,sorry if this is not the right thread or been discussed before,but does anyone know about the AS90 155mm SPG system (I think thats what its called & if still in service!) & the Defence Review,(as I think they were last used in anger 2 decades ago!) but I stand to be corrected?I heard that some of the Challenger 2 fleet was going to be mothballed,to save money,but nothing about the AS90.

Hi Chris it just that in 10 years,they haven’t needed it to lob 155mm shells at anybody (Iraqi 1 or 2?) so I am surprised they haven’t be mothballed,like the Chally 2’s to save money.

Nick,

This one looks like it's been lobbing quite a few sheels at the Iraqis...

http://www.seantaylor.org/Iraq%20War%20Pictures.htm

Chris

Holdings of the Challenger 2 (CR2) Main Battle Tank are to be reduced by approximately 40%. With current holdings estimated to be 345 the proposed reduction will bring the operational fleet down to just over 200 CR2’s.

AS90 Armoured Artillery Vehicles are to be reduced by approximately 35%. Current holdings of AS90 are estimated to be 134 and will be reduced to 87 under the terms of SDSR.

AS90 conducted fire missions into Basra on Op Telic and subsequently into the Basra region on later Telics, AS90 is not currently deployed on Op Herrick in Afghanistan.

Edited by recymech66

Thanks recymech66 for the update AS90 info,I stand corrected.

Holdings of the Challenger 2 (CR2) Main Battle Tank are to be reduced by approximately 40%. With current holdings estimated to be 345 the proposed reduction will bring the operational fleet down to just over 200 CR2’s.

AS90 Armoured Artillery Vehicles are to be reduced by approximately 35%. Current holdings of AS90 are estimated to be 134 and will be reduced to 87 under the terms of SDSR.

AS90 conducted fire missions into Basra on Op Telic and subsequently into the Basra region on later Telics, AS90 is not currently deployed on Op Herrick in Afghanistan.