Stalwarts FFR what type

juddy

Looking in the main index A000 of EMER COMMUNICATIONS INSTALLATIONS it gives P400-P409 as "Clansman, net installation, HLMC, Stalwart Mk 2"

There would be more info in the detailed index A001 but I don't have that let alone P400 etc. Anyway that is where the definitive answer should be found.

another question or 2, for de experts

Was the hub reductions a big wear or service issue ?

Was sealing between the tracta joints and the hull /hub / brakes a problem ?

Any other driving hints ?

From memory the 353 set. I have the installtion guide at home and will take a look tonight when I get in for you.

I don't recall the service of Stolly overlapping very long at all with Clansman: it was more a Larkspur era jobby. Vague recollection suggests to me that if we had a radio in a regiment Stolly, it was a B47. Pretty sure our Stollies went before I left in 1982, having had Clansman only since 1980.

Or, as they say, a meringue? I usually am.

another question or 2, for de experts

Was the hub reductions a big wear or service issue ?

Was sealing between the tracta joints and the hull /hub / brakes a problem ?

Any other driving hints ?

Check tyre pressures very regularly and check tyre circumfernece on a routine basis - 4 times a year works for me. There is a max variation between front and rear and side to side in circumference (I forget exactly what - a figure of 1.5" springs to mind though - will check at home).

As for driving:

Get a decent set of modern truck mirrors - wide angle for preference - if you plan on driving it. They can be driven solo - but it is a hell of a lot safer if you have a commander with you.

Keep a set of fan belts in the cab or toolbox - lose one of the two and they overheat rapidly.

Oh - and if you get a Mk 2 - turn the coolant off to the cab heater (blue wheel at the left rear of the driver) - in the event of an incident that matrix spilts VERY easily and dumps 130 deg C coolant in your boots - do not ask how I know this!! :blush:

Have a look at http:\\groups.yahoo.com\groups\stolly for detailed info on the old girls

If you get one - you will have the most fun you can without a female involved! :D I've never regretted buying mine. If you are in the Essex area or thereabouts you are welcome to come have a nose over my old girl!

I don't recall the service of Stolly overlapping very long at all with Clansman: it was more a Larkspur era jobby. Vague recollection suggests to me that if we had a radio in a regiment Stolly, it was a B47. Pretty sure our Stollies went before I left in 1982, having had Clansman only since 1980.

Or, as they say, a meringue? I usually am.

I think you are correct larkspur B47 fitted

Al

the stalwart entered service in the late 60's early 70's and was released post 90...it had both radio sets...

driving the stalwart on the road...honestly, never drive more than 20-30 miles in one go...always stop check and have a look, then proceed if you have to...I planned on no more than 30 in one day...too damn hard and not a lot of fun...always wear ear defenders or have the intercom headphones on, you will be deaf within a 100 miles.

I have generally never run with a commander but having someone else in the truck always helps.

Fit a rear view camera and screen. Dont have it in your normal line of vision, too easy to keep looking at it...

Tyre pressures are most important, wheel circumference pointless...unless you have very unevenly worn tyres its a pointless exercise..

You can go many many miles in them but after 500 miles she will need a good check over, 1000 miles and you need to be thinking about oil changes, 3000 miles and you are into a full service...so be aware that they are a lot of work...better to haul them to where you want to play then haul them home...

always check oils prior to run, no matter how many times you have done it before, and essential at every 20-30 mile stop....

Always make sure she is coming up to air BEFORE driving off...if the brakes go hard stop as soon as you can, like immediately...usually more effort to go than stop in a stolly.

Mirrors are a good point, get the best you can and keep them clean.

If you intend to run her on the road a lot then fit a yellow beacon front and rear. fit extra side lights and rear lights...even if they are temporary ones...fit a mechanical brake light switch.

Making sure you always have spare belts is a good idea, I have never had a belt fail and dont have a spare...will get a couple...Neil do you know the equivalent ones to buy...and from where

always take a spare wheel and tyre with you unless you have breakdown cover, they do not run on a flat tyre.

Get breakdown cover...

If I was running my girls on the road a lot I would fit new driving lamps and a better interior light. No matter what people say do go off road regularly during a drive as it will unwind the shafts if only for a short time...

wind the torsion bars down so that she sits lower on her suspension units, this levels out the tracta joints and reduces wear and the risk of failure...

make sure your governor works and that you never drive her above 40 mph, my 623 was going like a dream at 46 mph when the rod came through the block. ouch...

Always carry a fire extinguisher and some water to put out fires...coke a cola will do the job if its only a small fire...:blush:

Get two very large tool boxes, fill it with all manner of odd shaped spanners and tools, carry a plentiful supply of rags and make sure you fill the area where you are working with rags before you start to work or you will lose all your nuts washers and springs under the bed of the engine never to be seen again...remember to take them out before starting the engine again.

Final word of warning, jerk loads are the biggest stress on a stalwarts drive system, be very very careful about towing, or pulling with a stalwart, never jerk the transmission, always use smooth steady pulls.

Well I think that is all...

Edited by paulob1

• 3 years later...