1956 K9 5ton Austin

hospital1926

That is the later mulitfuel model, the Series III. In their normal single wheel state, the gross weight was 4630kgs, so with twin rears, I suppose it could raise the payload to a 5 ton GVW.

Military lorries are normally classed by what they carry, in this case, 1 ton. Where as with a civilian lorry, it is the Gross Weight which is used to describe them.

Cab looks good for its age too.

What Richard said.

Richard, you sure about that 4630 gross though? I don't know about the Series 3, but VOSA say the Series 2 K9 is 6200 gross.

Be interested to see that plate in the cab - is it a Ministry plate, MoD or something else?

Hi Sean,

The weights came out of the 1956 edition of FVRDE book, it lists the same laden weight (4630kgs) for the Series III GS and K9 Series II radio truck. My guess is that VOSA may view the design load more than what the WD rated it at (1 ton load).

Hi Sean,

The weights came out of the 1956 edition of FVRDE book, it lists the same laden weight (4630kgs) for the Series III GS and K9 Series II radio truck. My guess is that VOSA may view the design load more than what the WD rated it at (1 ton load).

That explains it, Richard, I thought you were referring to a Ministry weight. IME a K9 with a flat platform or truck body normally runs around 2.5 - 3 tonnes ULW so 4630 would be consistent with a 1.5 ton load; if I remember right Austin marketed the civvy version as a 1.5 ton 4x4.

Hospital1926, I'd still be interested to know what the plate in the cab is. 5 ton load might be about consistent with the civvy 4x2 twin wheel Series 3 / WE / WF. I'm guessing this was converted to twin rear wheels after disposal; at least, I've not come across a twin wheel Series 3 4x4 as originally built.

• 12 years later...