Bulldog/fv432 Mk3 braking system

ChasSomT.

Purely 'academically', does anybody on here know how the braking system works on the Bulldog/fv432Mk 3.

I know the steering is by 'Yoke', and totally separate.

Just out of interest :-)

Chas.

Moved from 'Legislation' thread (Think I just got away with not being shot!)

Two sets of discs, both internal to the gearbox/steering unit. One set does the steering, the other both the foot brakes and the parking brake, although they have independent linkages external to the box. Unlike the CVR(T), the parking brake can be applied and released gradually.

Andy

Found this snip

Crews at the controls of the Bulldog were also unanimous in their praise. They believed it would inspire confidence among troops on the ground.

Rfn Paul Sapsford said: “This vehicle is very good news. It is a lot easier to drive than the old FV432 and has independent steering and brakes.”

& talking about the old FV432's

Many of the subsystems are no longer supportable and its drive train, braking and steering system no longer meets the latest European regulations.

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1031.html

Edited by Marmite!!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this helps but I have a VT Land presentation with the following extracts:

-TRANSMISSION

-The X200 4C gearbox is located at the front of the vehicle and can be accessed from the driver’s compartment and from the outside of the vehicle via the gearbox access covers.

-It is connected to the engine via a drive shaft to a transfer box. The drive is then transferred through a torque converter to the Transmission.

-The gearbox, by means of 4 forward and one reverse gear, provides the drive to the final drives via two output drive shafts. The gearbox also provides a neutral turn facility as well as braking and steering of the vehicle.

-Brakes The gearbox houses the vehicle brakes. These are applied by depressing the brake pedal which initially applies the brakes via a braking cross beam, a braking compensator chain and left and right brake apply shafts.

Braking is then applied by means of hydraulics within the gearbox. Further application of the brake pedal will increase

the brake effort by mechanically enhancing the hydraulic actuators within the gearbox.

Secondary Braking The parking brake linkage is independent of the primary brake linkage and attaches to the brake pawls on the gearbox.

Apologies for the "messy" text I am still learning how to post to the threads.

I do have the presentations (VT Engine Pack Precis, VT General Precis and VT Transmission Precis) and will email or post (if someone tells me how)?

cant help with the spec but can provide some photos that maybe of intrest ;)

BordonVisitJuly20102.jpg

BordonVisitJuly20103.jpg

BordonVisitJuly201030.jpg

BordonVisitJuly20105.jpg

is it possible to fit this into a std 432 or is there a lot of work.

As regards current regs, many machines dont confirm to current regs, but if it was acceptable in 1960 it is acceptable today as the rules are not backdated...

and to be fair the 432's stop and start and steer as they always have, perfectly fine...although a foot pedal would be preferable to the levers...

In theory you should be able to modify an existing 430 to Bulldog spec as it was originally designed to be carried out as a field workshop conversion. It was only when they decided to return them to Bovington for conversion that the extra opening appeared in the front hatch to improve access. Note that in a Bulldog the "pack" is now just the engine and transfer box as the gearbox sits where the original steering unit was. Apparently the gearbox has to be dropped in through the engine hatch and then pulled forward into position. Bulldogs also have their 432 final drives replaced with the lower ratio 433/434 units. They're electronically governed to 42 mph for safety and track wear reasons, I was told they managed nearly 60 mph in trials!

And Chas yes, four forward gears, one reverse.

Andy

In theory you should be able to modify an existing 430 to Bulldog spec as it was originally designed to be carried out as a field workshop conversion. It was only when they decided to return them to Bovington for conversion that the extra opening appeared in the front hatch to improve access. Note that in a Bulldog the "pack" is now just the engine and transfer box as the gearbox sits where the original steering unit was. Apparently the gearbox has to be dropped in through the engine hatch and then pulled forward into position. Bulldogs also have their 432 final drives replaced with the lower ratio 433/434 units. They're electronically governed to 42 mph for safety and track wear reasons, I was told they managed nearly 60 mph in trials!

And Chas yes, four forward gears, one reverse.

yes they are bad enough at 30 mph cannot imagine doing 60...bloody scary...

are they manual then, no semi auto box?

It's a Cummins 6BTA 250 diesel, similar to that used in the CVR(T)(D) upgrades but with a suspiciously familiar looking set of radiators and hydraulic fan drive. It's also about half a ton lighter than the K60, which must help a bit.

Andy

for work recently i had a very interesting visit to allisons uk main dealer in mansfield mitchell powersystems and the information they had on the 432 mk1/2/3 was immense plus they gave me the crossover part numbers for the filters. definately worth a call sadly the bulldog transmission is still restricted for uk sale.SHAME