Saracen windup relief.

DP1981

Question

Morning Gents

Finaly having my Sarry delivered to me in Norfolk this week. Following servicing and winter works i will be taking here back to London hopefully under her own steam. Everything being well mechanically the only thing i am concerned about with the 112 mile drive is windup. Such a long distance on hard road even with well matched tires is going to generate some tension.

My route brings me A11 - A14 - A11 - M11 right up to the M11 there is plenty of opportunity to get my nearsides off the road and the odd chance to bump offside up too. there are a few long stretches (20+miles at a time) past that where i'm stuck to the road.

So suggestions if you please.

accumulators are pretty easy to set-up, -that's if they have no faults inside them!... give me a shout if you need help.... the pumps do make the odd 'ticking' sound, not yet heard one rattle though...:-\

it is more of a rythmic ticking/clunk than a rattle it goes away when there is a bit of pressure on the steering wheel. It gets louder as the revs increase.

I havent found it in any of the manuals but where does the rev counter get it's feed from i have only been able to chase the feed pipe into the engine bay then it disappears into the depths.

I think the sound is the similar as the sound mine makes.... and mine works fine 100% on the brakes and steering,... but the noise that gets more frequent with engine revs....? -just a wild stab in the dark...-have you got a fan belt that is breaking up? with part of it hitting something solid as it spins round? I've had that before, on my saracen.

One trick I learned with my MK6 is don't pump the tyres up to a pressure, pump them to a size. Run a tape measure around them and inflate them all to the same size. It reduces wind up. T

How does one accurately measure the wheel circumference with weight on?

Back to the ticking noise. Have you checked the big black voltage control box. Mine ticks and clicks at various levels of tick and click depending on revs.

As to avoiding wind up, the biggest problem is roundabouts, just go over them:-D. The added benefit is that having a grass middle your wheels / tyres will be able to shed any stress.

(Yes I am joking, but not about the ticking)

Edited by simonm

One trick I learned with my MK6 is don't pump the tyres up to a pressure, pump them to a size. Run a tape measure around them and inflate them all to the same size. It reduces wind up. T
....but then you run the risk of running tyres at the wrong pressures, thus affecting the handling, and stopping distances.... and yours and other peoples safety.....:stop::nono:

The guy gave his advise take it or leave but dont knock him for doing so

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags