Field Ovens

Rangie

Field Ovens,

Are they more than just a box within a box with a heat source underneath?

Do the flames lick the bottom of the internal box or is there an extra baffle plate that it heats underneath? Indirect heating to heat the airspace rather than direct heat on the inside compartment as it were?

I have seen pictures of one model with adjustable louvers on the top, I take it these, along with varying the heat source, varies the internal temperature??

I have plans afoot............ :cool2:

Alec.

Holy hell, I've put my foot in it again, haven't I Clive?

Rule No.1 of British Engineering: Find the most technically correct and long-winded way to achieve the solution given the best possible operating conditions and the minimum of deviation!!!

And if that fails, half fill a biscuit tin with sand, a cup of petrol, use a match and make a brew of tea instead!!

I am contemplating making a smallish field oven that sits above a double propane burner, to use while out and about with the Ambulance. :-D

Anyone have pictures of the underneath/inside of these buggers?

Alec.

Alec I felt sorry for you that nobody was joining in. The drawing was from Field Engineering 1883.

Moving more up to date, this one was from the 1911 publication. It seems to consist of setting fire to the grass & inviting lots of friends round for tea :D

App2495.jpg

Wasn't there a version to burn waste oil as well? As I rember that was a complicated bit of kit consiting off a pre heated burn pan, with oil and water dripping into it.

Tony but the "Improvised Oil Cooker" is for burning waste oil which is drip fed in & mixed with water on the right of the diagram.