Looking for 5.5" details

Evening all,

Sometime early in the new year I'll be starting to gather info for our forthcoming 1/24th scale Matador & 5.5" gun kit. Now, for the Matador we`re pretty confident we have all we need already...it's the pattern makers all time favourite motor & he's well genned up on it.

The gun however is a little more difficult. I believe Duxford has one presently & I dare say we could get in there to measure & photograph it to death. But I thought I'd ask the question on here first with the people 'wot is in the know' if there are any other good clean complete examples in private hands anywhere ??.

(I have a handbook so far but that's all... Ordnance B.L. 5.5" 1941)

The owners of which might be willing to help out with the odd piccy, measurement, advice, info & input ??:cool2::cool2:

Any comments, advice etc, truly welcome:D

Howard @ KFS

http://www.kitformservices.com

(lots of vehicles in my collection...trouble is they're all 1/24th now :cry:)

I think Preston Issac may have a damaged range recovery one as an outside exhibit at Cobbaton Combat Museum but not abolutely sure....... If he has, he may let you climb on it with a camera and tape measure as kids seem to climb on it with ice creams in the summer! (I thought the IWM one was a 4.5" long barrel gun on the same chassis, not the 5.5 gun/howitzer with the shorter and fatter tube but might be wrong??) Firepower (the old Rotunda, Woolwich) Museum must have one as well?

I fired a 5.5 as a cadet in the 1960's. I could not believe you can see the shell in flight (low charge) but you can!

Many thanks for both replies John & Sharky.

Now then...Sharky...(grins & scratches chin) what you've just said sounds very interesting. Would you be willing to approach 'the boss' & pose the question for me please ? :cool2::cool2:

Drop me a line on Howard@kitformservices.fsnet.co.uk & maybe we can tie something up for me to pay a visit & do the deed if the boss is willing that is.;)

Talk to you soon, many many thanks again.

Howard @ KFS

Howard, are you proposing other varients on the Matador in the future. I took a few detail photos of a 5.5 at Wand P a few years ago i will locate them and put them up

cheers

Les

Les,

The more pics & details I can aquire the better....so yes please, put them & I'll save them. Other variants....nothing actually 'planned' for other variants at this stage but never say never.... everything depends on sales really (as always). I know the truck modelling customers will go for it due to the number of Mats converted to civi wreckers, logging tractors, fairground motors etc.

Look forward to you pics....many thanks.

Howard.

Ohhh poooh....:banghead::banghead: I was at Telford all last weekend for the IPMS Nats show. Now you've reminded me I think I remember seeing those some years ago while reporting as a reservist. Shall bear this in mind & see what Sharky comes back with.

Many thanks for the reminder.

Cheers Diamond.

Howard,

You are more than welcome to come and have a crawl round our 5.5 .Boss might want a good deal on a kit tho but the good thing is he'll get me to build it.

Just p.m me when you want to come over welcome to measure any of our other vehicles whilst your at it we have a few to choice from .

Iain

Just a public thank you to Sharky & the Boss at Armourgeddon for making me welcome yesterday & allowing me to photograph & measure the 5.5....Sharky even held the tape measure :-D

Now I know where you are & how to find you without venturing into the hell hole know as Leicster I'll be paying another visit when the 432 time comes around....although I did sneak some pics of the suspension while I was there.

If you ever get hold of a Conqueror gun tank be sure to tell me first:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Thanks all.:tup::

Howard @ KFS

• 3 weeks later...

Les, & GWT,

Many thanks for the pics, excellent stuff. There are one or two items present on the gun in the laster strip of pictures that I now know are missing from the gun I already photographed...bits of the sights for example. Crackin job for that alone :cool2::cool2:

Now, note the 'u' shaped clips around the outside edge of the wheel rims ??...anyone any ideas what these are for ?

Cheers again.

Howard.

Are those clips not similar to those found on the 6 Pdr as well, it may not be correct, but i was informed that they were thier to facilitate slinging the gun for off loading from ships etc.

Simmilar to the bedfords and the like having an extended hubcap with an outer disc to loop around.

Confirmation would be nice.

Regards

Tim

Tim,

While standing staring at the 'clips' the same thought crossed my mind....as did them being part of some device to wind the beast out a hole...using crowbars or ropes ?? The thing is though, they are much too light a gauge of metal for any of that & not really big enough. Also the 'U' part of the clips face inward rather than outward....so they would not retain a sling for lifting unless you used only one or two of them at the top & they would surely bend & snap under weight.

They are also present on both sides of the wheel...i.e. inboard face next to the brake drum as well.

Certainly has me puzzled....but I'm looking forward to being ejamakated agen in'it !

H

Rob,

Thanks for the input there, could I ask you to expand on that please. I'm really non the wiser.....I'm not doubting the accuracy of the statement, just need a bit more meat on the bones.

Do you know exactly how & under what circumstances these wheel clips & 'drag ropes' are used?

Thanks.

H

gun 003.jpg

No Problem ,Most British Artillery pieces carry as a part of the Gun equipment a pair of 'Drag Ropes'. On the end of the rope is attached one or two short chains with a ring.

The purpose of the rope is to manhandle the piece by attaching the ring to a lug on the wheel rim and laying the rope over the top of the others so you get a direct pull on the wheels.

You can also attached the ropes to the drag rings on the hubs.

Some of the earlier (WWI) Artillery pieces carried a leather bound drag rope.Which I would love to find !

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

Rob,

Ah, think I'm starting to see the plan.....correct me if I'm wrong.....one end of the chain & ring set of the drag rope attaches to the U shaped lug on the outside of the wheel & the other end to the lugs opposite number on the inside of the wheel. The short chain therefore goes across the tread of the tyre (bit like a snow chain).

Thus when a pull is imparted on the rope (lying around the tread) the effort is transferred to the tyre circumference for best mechanical advantage ?? And I suppose you could probably just get half a wheel rotation before having to chock the wheel & reposition the ropes. Am I getting it?

I know this is no big deal I just love to understand how things work & what all the mystery brackets & fittings are for (on anything from an ARV to an LMG)

Cheers........H